evanya84
Paddler

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by evanya84 » April 15th, 2020, 9:08 am

mict450 wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 8:56 am
evanya84 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 10:10 am

1. Mid-back. No where else in my back, just the mid-back thoracic area. It is a dull ache that sets in after 10 minutes or so of rowing, the kind of ache where the only thing that alleviates it is laying flat on the floor. It only occurs while I'm rowing. Could it be because I'm trying to sit up too straight? I have really good posture already, and it's very easy for me to sit up very straight, so I'm wondering if it's because I should actually allow a slight curve in my back while I row. Or it could be from my scoliosis. I have a slight scoliosis (the degree is classified at the upper end of "mild"), and I remember many years ago one chiropractor told me (upon me telling him I used to be on the crew team) that rowing would, in my case, be bad for my back because I am already at risk for thoracic compression of my discs. I'm really hoping he was wrong about that, and that instead, my issue here is incorrect form. So, I'm thinking that either the pain is coming from overusing my mid-back muscles (incorrect form), or (worse) a disc problem (which means I shouldn't row). Definitely hoping for the former and not the latter...
Would be wise to consult a medical provider who specializes in sports medicine & the spine. You already have a pre-existing condition in your spine. Whether yours will progressively worsen as you age and the effect that erging will have on you, I am not qualified to hazard a guess.

Whatever you decide to do, please stay healthy. This from someone who bears the scars from too much enthusiasm and too little common sense. Now in my mid 60's, the mantra I try hard to follow is, "If it hurts, I don't do it!" For too, too long, I tried to live by the Chesty Puller quote, "Pain is weakness leaving the body." Your older self will thank you.

Stay well & pain-free.
Thank you!! I definitely agree with you here.
35/F, 6'1", 165lbs. Long time fitness enthusiast, beginner rower

RhiannonThomas
Paddler

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by RhiannonThomas » May 19th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Rhiannon and I'm writing to you from Maryland. I used to be in crew through high school and during part of my air force life, but got out of it for about 8 years now. I picked up a Concept 2 in 2014 and have been using it 2x a week since delivery. I really need to hit it harder. I have no excuses other than I just haven't pushed myself as hard as I should. I really do enjoy it and did a lot of research before buying it.

I was a pretty avid mountain biker too (rode with friends), but a major wreck leaving my distal radius (wrist) shattered seemed to break my spirit and freaked me out enough that I have never gotten back on that horse. So the Concept 2 is meant to replace my mt biking with hopes of getting on the water one day.

It is pretty awesome they have challenges on here and I do hope to partake in one or more. Seems like that is an amazing way to motivate people.

I look forward to reading through threads on here!