Introduce yourself

evanya84
Paddler
Posts: 48
Joined: April 9th, 2020, 8:55 am
Location: San Diego, CA, United States

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by evanya84 » April 15th, 2020, 9:08 am

mict450 wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 8:56 am
evanya84 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 10:10 am

1. Mid-back. No where else in my back, just the mid-back thoracic area. It is a dull ache that sets in after 10 minutes or so of rowing, the kind of ache where the only thing that alleviates it is laying flat on the floor. It only occurs while I'm rowing. Could it be because I'm trying to sit up too straight? I have really good posture already, and it's very easy for me to sit up very straight, so I'm wondering if it's because I should actually allow a slight curve in my back while I row. Or it could be from my scoliosis. I have a slight scoliosis (the degree is classified at the upper end of "mild"), and I remember many years ago one chiropractor told me (upon me telling him I used to be on the crew team) that rowing would, in my case, be bad for my back because I am already at risk for thoracic compression of my discs. I'm really hoping he was wrong about that, and that instead, my issue here is incorrect form. So, I'm thinking that either the pain is coming from overusing my mid-back muscles (incorrect form), or (worse) a disc problem (which means I shouldn't row). Definitely hoping for the former and not the latter...
Would be wise to consult a medical provider who specializes in sports medicine & the spine. You already have a pre-existing condition in your spine. Whether yours will progressively worsen as you age and the effect that erging will have on you, I am not qualified to hazard a guess.

Whatever you decide to do, please stay healthy. This from someone who bears the scars from too much enthusiasm and too little common sense. Now in my mid 60's, the mantra I try hard to follow is, "If it hurts, I don't do it!" For too, too long, I tried to live by the Chesty Puller quote, "Pain is weakness leaving the body." Your older self will thank you.

Stay well & pain-free.
Thank you!! I definitely agree with you here.
35/F, 6'1", 165lbs. Long time fitness enthusiast, beginner rower

RhiannonThomas
Paddler
Posts: 1
Joined: May 19th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by RhiannonThomas » May 19th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Rhiannon and I'm writing to you from Maryland. I used to be in crew through high school and during part of my air force life, but got out of it for about 8 years now. I picked up a Concept 2 in 2014 and have been using it 2x a week since delivery. I really need to hit it harder. I have no excuses other than I just haven't pushed myself as hard as I should. I really do enjoy it and did a lot of research before buying it.

I was a pretty avid mountain biker too (rode with friends), but a major wreck leaving my distal radius (wrist) shattered seemed to break my spirit and freaked me out enough that I have never gotten back on that horse. So the Concept 2 is meant to replace my mt biking with hopes of getting on the water one day.

It is pretty awesome they have challenges on here and I do hope to partake in one or more. Seems like that is an amazing way to motivate people.

I look forward to reading through threads on here!

Vic303
Paddler
Posts: 7
Joined: January 13th, 2021, 11:15 am

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Vic303 » January 13th, 2021, 11:51 am

Hi everyone, I'm Vicky. Just got my model D last night and DH and I both did our first rows. I'm about 5mo post-TKR. Weight training is progressing well, with deadlifts being full ROM and pain free. Squats otoh, are no longer below parallel, :-(. On the c2, I notice the ROM is shorter than I'd like.

I must be doing something wrong with the rower because it's too easy. I watched some of the form videos, and am trying to copy that. I did 1500m all at once last night, after a 660m warm up. Spm was around 30, iirc, damper got bumper up to 6 after warm up because I kept overdriving with the legs. The only places I really felt any exertion was low abdomen, and low back from the lean-back in the stroke.

I guess when I get some more sessions under my belt, I could post some video for critique. Hopefully then y'all could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

kgschneider
Paddler
Posts: 3
Joined: December 26th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by kgschneider » January 13th, 2021, 3:35 pm

I'm 63 years old, 4'11", ca. 107 lbs (again, after some post-holiday dieting ;-) ). After our local Y closed its facility last spring, I picked up running after a 30-year hiatus. It felt great, but I found I could not run more than four or five times a week or run past five miles without incurring physical issues. I got in some rowing at the Y's outdoor workout space and decided I liked it, plus a friend had used a rower for several months after breaking a toe while running and said it was a good alternative.

I am enjoying my Model D, which arrived in early December. My workouts began to feel like workouts after I began looking up free videos on YouTube such as Dark Horse and Tall Trainer. It's a good way to get in a workout during the work week on this short winter days (since I only run in daylight and rarely have more than 30 minutes off between endless Zoom meetings) and rowing also diversifies which muscles and joints are being used. I am learning that arms and shoulders have muscles!

I am going to get a bracket to hold my iPad as I'm peering down at it while I work out (either with entertainment or workout videos) and eventually I'll hurt myself doing that. I see there is a new product out at a reasonable price, https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-TAB3U .

Ripples
1k Poster
Posts: 141
Joined: February 10th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Ripples » January 14th, 2021, 9:57 pm

Welcome, Vicky and kgschneider. Glad to have you on board.

Vicky, you're in amazing shape given your recent TKR! How many watts are you producing during your workouts? 30spm is a very fast stroke.

Last night I decided to video myself while using my model D. LOL, I thought I had good form but that video made me immediately decide to work on pick drills to clean up my act. :roll:

Vic303
Paddler
Posts: 7
Joined: January 13th, 2021, 11:15 am

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Vic303 » January 17th, 2021, 9:06 am

Ripples, where in the data will I find watts? NVM, found it.

It only recorded watts on 2 of 4 workouts.
On the 4x3:00/1r it was 37 watts avg.

On the 2x2000m/4r it was 20 watts avg.
Damper was set at 3 on both.

I have no idea if that's good or abysmal...

Ripples
1k Poster
Posts: 141
Joined: February 10th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Ripples » January 21st, 2021, 7:57 pm

Vic303 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 9:06 am
Ripples, where in the data will I find watts? NVM, found it.

It only recorded watts on 2 of 4 workouts.
On the 4x3:00/1r it was 37 watts avg.

On the 2x2000m/4r it was 20 watts avg.
Damper was set at 3 on both.

I have no idea if that's good or abysmal...
No workout on the erg is abysmal. Just doing it is good. You have a fast stroke but I don't think you're connecting with the rower. It shouldn't be "easy" unless you're doing the slow and easy aerobic training mentioned in a thread in the training section, defined as being able to sing while you're rowing. But that's not done at 30spm :D

Here's a good read for a start: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=185257 No. 2 reminded me of your high SPM and low watts.

Might also try a reverse pick drill to help make that connection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rndwB648yHo There's also videos around on the pick drill.

Best wishes; you sound like a gal who will be setting PBs quickly.

Vic303
Paddler
Posts: 7
Joined: January 13th, 2021, 11:15 am

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Vic303 » January 22nd, 2021, 10:54 am

Ripple, I've discovered I can slow down my spm, and pull a lot harder, and avg my watts btwn 55-66 over distance. I still feel no real effort from the legs. The seat only glides 13", due to the TKR reducing my flexion. Shins cannot go vertical at this point. I suspect if I could get to 126-135* flexion, I'd feel the leg drive a lot more, as deep flexion is a weaker starting position.

JoanneP
Paddler
Posts: 1
Joined: January 23rd, 2021, 1:20 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by JoanneP » January 23rd, 2021, 1:42 pm

Hi, I am Joanne. I just started rowing about 3 weeks ago and I am wondering how I am doing so far. I am 63 years old and am rowing 5000 metres in 26:54. Is that reasonable given my age and experience with rowing? I am also having a hard time with my breathing technique, so any pointers there would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Ripples
1k Poster
Posts: 141
Joined: February 10th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Ripples » January 25th, 2021, 12:07 am

JoanneP wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 1:42 pm
Hi, I am Joanne. I just started rowing about 3 weeks ago and I am wondering how I am doing so far. I am 63 years old and am rowing 5000 metres in 26:54. Is that reasonable given my age and experience with rowing? I am also having a hard time with my breathing technique, so any pointers there would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome, Joanne. That's darn good for being so new to the sport.

Concept2 has online rankings. Here's the list for your age group: https://log.concept2.com/rankings/2021/ ... 9&gender=F

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5487
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Dangerscouse » January 25th, 2021, 1:35 am

JoanneP wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 1:42 pm
Hi, I am Joanne. I just started rowing about 3 weeks ago and I am wondering how I am doing so far. I am 63 years old and am rowing 5000 metres in 26:54. Is that reasonable given my age and experience with rowing? I am also having a hard time with my breathing technique, so any pointers there would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum and well done Joanne, that is very reasonable.

Your breathing technique is affected by a few things. Can you confirm your stroke rate and drag factor? You might be trying to go too fast too soon, as despite it looking relatively easy, rowing is surprisingly technical.

Have you watched any technique videos? It's very easy to leak power if you're doing it wrong.
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,461m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:44:04; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Wombat
Paddler
Posts: 1
Joined: January 27th, 2021, 7:31 am

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Wombat » January 27th, 2021, 1:44 pm

Hello. I am Caroline, returned to rowing a year ago when I retired. I first rowed on the river at University in Durham, now a member of the Swanage Sea Rowing Club having moved to Dorset and trying to manage the much heavier GIG boat and oars. Not the best year to try and meet people through a new sport, but during the lockdowns I have taken over my husband's Concept 2, which has been another new thing for me and entered a couple of on-line rowing competions to get me going.
My best time for 2k is 8.24 and aiming for 8.15 at the moment.
I have also just joined the CTC challenge and am about to take my first test. I am 58 and 60 kgs, so am in the lightweight masters category.
Looking forward to training suggestions and racing!

Caroline

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5487
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Dangerscouse » January 28th, 2021, 4:57 am

Wombat wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 1:44 pm
Hello. I am Caroline, returned to rowing a year ago when I retired. I first rowed on the river at University in Durham, now a member of the Swanage Sea Rowing Club having moved to Dorset and trying to manage the much heavier GIG boat and oars. Not the best year to try and meet people through a new sport, but during the lockdowns I have taken over my husband's Concept 2, which has been another new thing for me and entered a couple of on-line rowing competions to get me going.
My best time for 2k is 8.24 and aiming for 8.15 at the moment.
I have also just joined the CTC challenge and am about to take my first test. I am 58 and 60 kgs, so am in the lightweight masters category.
Looking forward to training suggestions and racing!

Caroline
Welcome to the forum Caroline. Good luck with the training, and it sounds like with your previous rowing experience you'll quickly improve.
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,461m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:44:04; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

ODA364
Paddler
Posts: 1
Joined: February 2nd, 2021, 4:40 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by ODA364 » February 2nd, 2021, 4:56 pm

Greg From Fort Worth Texas here. 65 yo male. Had to switch from Erg to Bikerg after back and knee surgery. The riding has been awesome to help rehab the knee. I have no specific goals at this point, other than keeping the knee moving. I'm riding 6-7 days a week, 20-30,000 meters total per day. I'm subscribed to the WOD's and sometimes follow them, but I'm struggling with understanding the overall focus of my training (other than grinding away watching Netflix). Do I do a warm-up?, what distance, what effort, then Short, Medium or Long WOD? Do workouts focus on Power or Endurance? Should I pick one distance and just train to improve my time? How much should I be riding? Peloton uses zones and FTP's, which don't translate to our bikes, and I find their workouts too challenging at this point. Obviously I'm confused and seeking direction to forum advice already out there that can help me get specific direction and organized workouts that build up to goals, like weight training.

Ripples
1k Poster
Posts: 141
Joined: February 10th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Ripples » February 5th, 2021, 11:09 pm

ODA364 wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 4:56 pm
Greg From Fort Worth Texas here. 65 yo male. Had to switch from Erg to Bikerg after back and knee surgery. The riding has been awesome to help rehab the knee. I have no specific goals at this point, other than keeping the knee moving. I'm riding 6-7 days a week, 20-30,000 meters total per day. I'm subscribed to the WOD's and sometimes follow them, but I'm struggling with understanding the overall focus of my training (other than grinding away watching Netflix). Do I do a warm-up?, what distance, what effort, then Short, Medium or Long WOD? Do workouts focus on Power or Endurance? Should I pick one distance and just train to improve my time? How much should I be riding? Peloton uses zones and FTP's, which don't translate to our bikes, and I find their workouts too challenging at this point. Obviously I'm confused and seeking direction to forum advice already out there that can help me get specific direction and organized workouts that build up to goals, like weight training.
Hi Greg. I think if you re-post this in the Bikerg section, you'll get the direction and advice you seek.

Post Reply