Introduce yourself

lindsayh
10k Poster

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by lindsayh » August 8th, 2016, 8:08 pm

he4she4golf wrote:...I started with 15 minutes at #5 (felt too easy but I followed instructions not too much too soon) and worked mainly on my form...yesterday I did 45 minutes ...30 at #6 and 15 minutes at #8 and kept the s/m numbers between 25 and 30 ...I have absolutely no idea about rowing except for what the initial instructions have suggested I hope this is okay? Anyone wishing to suggest how to continue or what goals to shoot for feel free to inform me I haven't a clue what's correct and what isn't...
Hi Peggy - the C2 is really good for those of us with OA of the knees and is the best thing both pre and post surgery. (I am pre by a few years I hope) It will definitely help the post op rehab and the physios have told me to go for it.
If you head for the training thread above here and search for "newbie" type training advice you will find hours of interesting reading that will be very helpful.
You will need to learn about drag factor rather then damper setting to compare machines - 5 to 8 on the damper could be anything depending on the machine you are using. A drag factor of 110-120 would be good for you which is about 4 on a clean machine.
It is very important to nail the technique and there are links to good videos and the like as poor technique carries an injury risk. The first goal for fitness is to get to the stage where you can do 30-40 minutes at a steady pace and stroke rate of <25 without pushing too hard to gain cardio fitness and burn fat (tho diet is really important there as well). You aim for a pace that will have you breathing up maybe in a bit of a sweat but where you can carry on a conversation.
Lindsay
66yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2

elainelduarte
Paddler

Post by elainelduarte » March 20th, 2017, 2:39 am

HELLO everyone!!

ornatewobbegong
Paddler

Post by ornatewobbegong » January 1st, 2018, 5:55 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a 36 years old and have just ordered my Concept 2 rower. I'm interested in weight loss and getting my fitness back. I used to be an avid cyclist but due to weight gain I'm reluctant to put the lyrca back on :shock:
I really can't wait for my rower to arrive so I can get started :D

Steve1960VA
2k Poster

Post by Steve1960VA » January 1st, 2018, 11:51 am

ornatewobbegong wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a 36 years old and have just ordered my Concept 2 rower. I'm interested in weight loss and getting my fitness back. I used to be an avid cyclist but due to weight gain I'm reluctant to put the lyrca back on :shock:
I really can't wait for my rower to arrive so I can get started :D
Welcome! Lots of smart folks (not me) on this forum. They can provide good advice as needed. Best of luck! :)
Male. Virginia, USA. Born 1960. 6'4" (1.93 m). 268 pounds (122 kg). C2 Model D, PM 5.

Am erging for fitness. Weight loss OK if it comes.

beckyb14
Paddler

Post by beckyb14 » January 28th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Hi - I have a question I thought folks here would be the best to ask.

I'm 54 and have been erging for about 18 months. Concept2's online logbook, rankings and challenges have been great for me - they keep me honest and motivated.

My question: how much decline can I expect as I age?

In other words, what kinds of goals should I be setting from one season to the next? I have no idea whether I am failing to tap my full potential and can reasonably expect to keep setting PR's, or whether the aging process means I should settle for some kind of holding pattern or measured decline.

Thanks!

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » January 28th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Hi Becky. Welcome to the forum. I have seen one estimate that erg performance (read pace endurance) declines rapidly after age 65—say 5% per year. Presumably the decline is less for those a decade younger. At 18 months experience in the indoor rowing sport, you may still be making big gains in fitness and skill or you may have peaked. WHEN you do peak in the rankngs, you will need a fresh source of motivation. This could mean bucking the inevitable trend.

Could also mean accepting the trend but continuing to engage with the activity of erging. The reward for the pursuit of physical fitness may be a number or your name in an ordered list but can also be an autotelic engagement with physical exertion. This is the experience of childhood—the simple joy of moving muscle.
Last edited by jackarabit on January 28th, 2018, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_71_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

gregsmith01748
10k Poster

Post by gregsmith01748 » January 28th, 2018, 7:33 pm

As a 54 year old, I understand where you are coming from Becky. I think a lot of it has to do with your sporting history.

If you have been training consistently throughout your adult life, then you can probably expect a very slow decline through your fifties and it will accelerate a bit in your sixties. But if you are coming from a life of relative leisure, you could end up improving for years before aging starts to slow you down. I started when I was about 46, overweight and untrained. Within a couple of years I had lost a fair amount of weight and I was quite competitive in age group indoor rowing. I have continued to set personal bests up through 2016. Since then a new job and some injuries have kept me from hitting peak form, but I still believe that I could get to the point where I would exceed the performance from before, despite getting older.
Greg

gregsmith01748
10k Poster

Post by gregsmith01748 » January 28th, 2018, 7:46 pm

But, if you want a statistical answer. Here is the decline in 2k scores for open weight women versus age for the 2017 season.

It's in watts...200W is about a 2:00 pace.
Greg

lindsayh
10k Poster

Post by lindsayh » January 28th, 2018, 7:53 pm

I agree Becky with jack and greg. There is no one answer really as it depends on previous fitness, training intensity, body type, general health and things like goals and motivation. AT 54 and just starting out it is quite possible to improve for some years yet. If you had started in your 30s then likely the peak would have been in your early 40s most likely. I started seriously on the erg at 58 after a lot of gym based fitness and reached a PB peak at 65 and have now just started the inevitable decline but you can still train hard to keep it at bay. The beauty of the machine is that you can still be competitive and train hard for as long as you want - I have seen really competitive people well into 80s still doing great things.
Lindsay
66yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » January 28th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Terry Dargon? Definitely an evergreen!
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_71_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

lindsayh
10k Poster

Post by lindsayh » January 28th, 2018, 9:28 pm

jackarabit wrote:Terry Dargon? Definitely an evergreen!
Yes Terry got serious late 60s and was 7:11 at 69 (lwt). Set WRs for the distance events 70+ and 2k @7:19 and at 73 is probably 7:28 still. (training with him tonite!)
Lindsay
66yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer

Cyclist2
5k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » January 29th, 2018, 12:49 am

beckyb14 wrote:In other words, what kinds of goals should I be setting from one season to the next?
My goal is always to get better. Pretty subjective, but it's all in my own head anyway.

Last year, when I turned 65, I noticed I could beat the qualifying times for the free trip to WRIC, so for the first time in many years, I trained pretty hard (I raced OTW and erg 30 years ago and have stayed active, but not serious, ever since). This year, I trained just as hard or harder and it feels just as good (?) but my 2K times are slower, by about 5%, as jack noted. This isn't true for me across all distances; some are faster, some slower this year.

The point being, as has been made already; you can't beat it, but you can do everything possible to keep it from happening too fast. i.e. always aim to get better.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

lindsayh
10k Poster

Post by lindsayh » January 29th, 2018, 5:18 am

Cyclist2 wrote:The point being, as has been made already; you can't beat it, but you can do everything possible to keep it from happening too fast. i.e. always aim to get better.
Yes I think that is the best advice - don't think about getting slower just keep trying to get faster - it will be a decade hopefully before you have to reconsider and you don't want to limit your training by thinking negatively. The other important thing IMO is to do the hard sessions harder as we age to delay age related muscle mass reduction.
Lindsay
66yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » January 29th, 2018, 5:56 am

beckyb14 wrote:Hi - I have a question I thought folks here would be the best to ask.

I'm 54 and have been erging for about 18 months. Concept2's online logbook, rankings and challenges have been great for me - they keep me honest and motivated.

My question: how much decline can I expect as I age?

In other words, what kinds of goals should I be setting from one season to the next? I have no idea whether I am failing to tap my full potential and can reasonably expect to keep setting PR's, or whether the aging process means I should settle for some kind of holding pattern or measured decline.

Thanks!
Don,t worry about, and don,t expect it, simply train, eat, sleep well and results will come. Erging is age friendly, you can expect gains still.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

beckyb14
Paddler

Post by beckyb14 » January 29th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied for the food for thought and the encouragement.

I was only sporadically active physically (and spent decades carrying 25+ extra pounds) before discovering the erg, so maybe it's not unreasonable to hope that there are still PR's in my future. I am also hoping to start rowing (sculling) soon, so presumably that will add to my motivation for training.

I have read about age-related loss of bone mass, but hadn't heard or read about muscle mass reduction, so that will definitely motivate me as well.

No matter how my goals evolve, judging by the event categories I have seen at regattas it's possible to keep erging/rowing for years, which is nice to look forward to.

Now, back to the January Challenge!