BRIC 2018

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.
Mrs Spoon
Paddler

Re: BRIC 2018

Post by Mrs Spoon » December 5th, 2018, 6:00 am

Thanks Marjorie.
I've got about a 10 minute warm up so that should work ok. Just got to go and do it now!

Pie Man
5k Poster

Post by Pie Man » December 7th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Good luck everyone with your races tomorrow looking forward to seeing some great results.
Piers 50m 73Kg 175cm DF 116 (was 110 to 20/08/16) MHR 167

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster

Post by lindsayh » December 9th, 2018, 5:41 am

OK I will have first go at a report.
BRIC is big! - I think they said 2300 participants and extremely well run although lots of rules to make sure it happens but it went very well. In the Olympic velodrome and set up with flights of 40 new ergs so two lots of races at the same time. Plenty of warm ups but only about ten minutes pre race. Lots of school level rowers all the way up to the full BR Olympic 8. Reasonable number of overseas visitors.
Mo Sbihi won the Opens with 5:45 from 2 others of the 8 - they were in full training rather than going into PB territory (he did 5:40 ish last year)
Two BR <23lwt guys raced all the way with less that 3 meters in an outstanding race and very fast.
Fastest school boy was 6:08! Some of the girls were very good too and some very close racing.
Rod did great (as indicated by his training) and won in 6:56 I think so a little slower than last time but still a championship record - he was pleased with that. His wife Carol won with 7:55 and smashed the BR 60+lwt - she is great to watch.
Jon Bone went easy on it rather than flat out as not feeling great and was second to Richard Cheeseman (6:30/6:45)
Graham Benton won the 40+ with 5:57
I met a very good OTW Aussie Rod Stuart who won the 65+lwt in 7:04 - he hasn't actually done a 2k erg since 2005 and looked great.

I think results and reports here:
British Rowing <indoorchamps@britishrowing.org>

My day was not great unfortunately. Became ill on Wed night and never really recovered - hardly ate at all for three days so pretty flat and my A game was nowhere to be found. Finished with 2 Silvers so not a disaster I guess. I knew there was a danger guy in each race. George Perrin was very fast 4 years ago then went missing and came back with a 6:58 which on a good day was reachable but rowed for second and a 7:11 - my slowest 2k for years. The 500 was ok - beaten by half a second by a guy with fresh legs and did a 1:34.4. It is what it is on the ultimate "truth machine"! Managed to put a lots of faces to names which was great.
Starting the long trip home....
Lindsay
67yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2

MPx
2k Poster

Post by MPx » December 9th, 2018, 7:54 pm

I had a great time spectating! The rounds came thick and fast and generally the erging was of very high quality. Unfortunately, some of the spectators left much to be desired - constant movement, kicking my seat, standing right in front of me, etc. I did choose a good vantage point, but it wasn't THAT crowded so there was no need for quite such annoying tactics! It was bigger this year than last but not by much, and I think it ran more smoothly despite a few false starts. None of the lengthy outages like Richard suffered last year although I saw Marjorie had to swap ergs at the last minute in the 500s and suffered a 5 min delay. There were a couple of very tight races and one or two late overtakes which is always exciting, but for the most part it appeared to me more time trial than race with gaps established early and then maintained or lengthened through the race. It was a great shame that you (Lindsay and Jon) were clearly not comfortable on the day and couldn't erg the races that you'd prepared so hard for. I really felt for you both on that. Otherwise most of the people I know of did very well indeed, most winning/medalling their categories in excellent times if not their best.

I took an extended breakfast break between the masters and elite rowers sessions but was back for the lunchtime sessions to the end of the Masters 500s. The elite races were for the greater part spectacularly impressive for a mere mortal to watch. If the change from a C2 event to a British Rowing event means that it will continue to be graced by more of the elite of our sport then it looks like a very positive move. Much enjoyed...my congratulations to all that took part and/or helped with the organisation.
Mike - 61 HWT 183

Dangerscouse
10k Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » December 12th, 2018, 8:31 am

lindsayh wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 5:41 am
OK I will have first go at a report.
BRIC is big! - I think they said 2300 participants and extremely well run although lots of rules to make sure it happens but it went very well. In the Olympic velodrome and set up with flights of 40 new ergs so two lots of races at the same time. Plenty of warm ups but only about ten minutes pre race. Lots of school level rowers all the way up to the full BR Olympic 8. Reasonable number of overseas visitors.
Mo Sbihi won the Opens with 5:45 from 2 others of the 8 - they were in full training rather than going into PB territory (he did 5:40 ish last year)
Two BR <23lwt guys raced all the way with less that 3 meters in an outstanding race and very fast.
Fastest school boy was 6:08! Some of the girls were very good too and some very close racing.
Rod did great (as indicated by his training) and won in 6:56 I think so a little slower than last time but still a championship record - he was pleased with that. His wife Carol won with 7:55 and smashed the BR 60+lwt - she is great to watch.
Jon Bone went easy on it rather than flat out as not feeling great and was second to Richard Cheeseman (6:30/6:45)
Graham Benton won the 40+ with 5:57
I met a very good OTW Aussie Rod Stuart who won the 65+lwt in 7:04 - he hasn't actually done a 2k erg since 2005 and looked great.

I think results and reports here:
British Rowing <indoorchamps@britishrowing.org>

My day was not great unfortunately. Became ill on Wed night and never really recovered - hardly ate at all for three days so pretty flat and my A game was nowhere to be found. Finished with 2 Silvers so not a disaster I guess. I knew there was a danger guy in each race. George Perrin was very fast 4 years ago then went missing and came back with a 6:58 which on a good day was reachable but rowed for second and a 7:11 - my slowest 2k for years. The 500 was ok - beaten by half a second by a guy with fresh legs and did a 1:34.4. It is what it is on the ultimate "truth machine"! Managed to put a lots of faces to names which was great.
Starting the long trip home....
Great post Lindsay, and well done. I hope that your Dad is feeling better.
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

NavigationHazard
10k Poster

Post by NavigationHazard » December 12th, 2018, 3:13 pm

What Stu said.

It was nice to meet you, even if it was just in passing. Someday I'll do the return journey and get back to Oz (which I love). I'll be sure to look you up :-)
63 MH 6' 6"