Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.
User avatar
Recess
500m Poster
Posts: 74
Joined: September 17th, 2013, 5:10 am

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by Recess » July 28th, 2020, 3:19 am

Thais,

If you make another track for me in ErgZone, along with the RowAlong and FMWOW's - I'll add the CTC too. I don't mind doing it along with the other bits I add for you. As long as no one on here minds?

John
www.indoorrowinginfo.com
www.rowalong.com

User avatar
Citroen
SpamTeam
Posts: 6555
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by Citroen » July 28th, 2020, 3:56 am

Recess wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 3:19 am
If you make another track for me in ErgZone, along with the RowAlong and FMWOW's - I'll add the CTC too. I don't mind doing it along with the other bits I add for you. As long as no one on here minds?
Nothing can change with the CTC, the software has been functionally stabilised for many years since it was first created in 2005.

What some teams do is have a single team manager who does all of the registration stuff and sets the password for ALL of their users to the same string. The passwords are only "secured" with an MD5 hash - so the string you define for a new user doesn't matter. There's no email address associated with anyone, just name, age range, weight and team affiliation.

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `ctc_users` (
  `user_id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `user_name` varchar(200) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `user_pass` varchar(40) DEFAULT NULL,
  `user_category` enum('MHWT','MLWT','F','FLWT','FHWT') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'MHWT',
  `team_id` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT NULL,
  `user_agegroup` enum('-','U20','20-29','30-39','40-49','50-59','60+') DEFAULT '-',
  PRIMARY KEY (`user_id`),
  UNIQUE KEY `user_name` (`user_name`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=11955 ;
I can bulk load users from a spreadsheet. If you share one with me on Dropbox or Google docs.

If you want to automate the c2ctc.com website with something like BeautifulSoup4 or Java in your app I have no objections as long as you don't break it. You have to do your testing on the live system.

The whole system is self registration & self posting of results. There's no way to delete a user or a result without raw SQL against the database. The registration system is a bit clunky. I'd have changed that to be easier to use if I could but I don't own the code. I don't even have a test version anywhere. It's all built with PHP and updated with a HTTP POST form (look at the HTML you get and you'll see how desperately clunky it really is - it ain't the way we'd do it now).

The entries table looks like

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `ctc_entries` (
  `entry_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `user_id` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
  `challenge_id` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
  `entry_value` varchar(20) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `entry_time` timestamp NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
  `entry_type` enum('NEW','UPDATED') DEFAULT 'NEW',
  PRIMARY KEY (`entry_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=73949 ;
The challenges table looks like

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `ctc_challenges` (
  `challenge_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `challenge_title` varchar(200) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `challenge_desc` text,
  `challenge_month` enum('Jan','Feb','Mar','Apr','May','Jun','Jul','Aug','Sep','Oct','Nov','Dec') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'Jan',
  `challenge_year` enum('2005','2006','2007','2008','2009','2010','2011','2012','2013','2014','2015','2016','2017','2018','2019','2020','2021','2022','2023','2024','2025') DEFAULT '2020',
  `challenge_type` enum('time','distance') DEFAULT NULL,
  `challenge_open` enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N',
  `challenge_finished` enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N',
  `challenge_target_time` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT '0',
  `challenge_target_distance` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT '0',
  `challenge_season` enum('05/06','06/07','07/08','08/09','09/10','10/11','11/12','12/13','13/14','14/15','15/16','16/17','17/18','18/19','19/20','20/21','21/22','22/23','23/24','24/25') DEFAULT '20/21',
  PRIMARY KEY (`challenge_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=190 ;
The teams table looks like

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `ctc_teams` (
  `team_id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `team_name` varchar(200) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `team_colour` varchar(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT '#FFFFFF',
  -- icon column is not used. 
  `team_icon` varchar(100) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  PRIMARY KEY (`team_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=143 ;

User avatar
Recess
500m Poster
Posts: 74
Joined: September 17th, 2013, 5:10 am

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by Recess » July 28th, 2020, 4:25 am

Ah. Maybe I pounced on a message that wasn't what I thought it was. I was assuming that Thais was asking if one of the CTC show-runners could / or wanted to add the CTC events to the the ErgZone app for users to load up and row to.

If that was what Thais was asking, the offer stands, that I'm happy to add them under a CTC section on the app when they appear each month. But as an outsider, only if the Admin's are happy.

If that WASN'T what Thais was asking, then I'll slip away into the shadows again...

John

thaiscamilo
Paddler
Posts: 5
Joined: July 26th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by thaiscamilo » July 28th, 2020, 10:19 am

Hi John,

You got it right.

Many of ou users do CTC events monthly and asked if we can't have it on ErgZone so they don't have to add the session themselves.

I thought it was appropriate to get an approval from the admins before doing it.

Thank you
TC
Recess wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 4:25 am
Ah. Maybe I pounced on a message that wasn't what I thought it was. I was assuming that Thais was asking if one of the CTC show-runners could / or wanted to add the CTC events to the the ErgZone app for users to load up and row to.

If that was what Thais was asking, the offer stands, that I'm happy to add them under a CTC section on the app when they appear each month. But as an outsider, only if the Admin's are happy.

If that WASN'T what Thais was asking, then I'll slip away into the shadows again...

John

thaiscamilo
Paddler
Posts: 5
Joined: July 26th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by thaiscamilo » July 28th, 2020, 10:22 am

Hi Citroen,

I don't mean to change your system at all. I am sorry if it feel like I did.

All I want is your approval to have the list of CTC challenges loaded on our app for our users to use. :D

John said he could be the person to make sure the info is loaded on time.
If you are ok with that, I will go ahead and do it today so August's event is ready on time.

TC


Citroen wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 3:56 am
Recess wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 3:19 am
If you make another track for me in ErgZone, along with the RowAlong and FMWOW's - I'll add the CTC too. I don't mind doing it along with the other bits I add for you. As long as no one on here minds?
Nothing can change with the CTC, the software has been functionally stabilised for many years since it was first created in 2005.

What some teams do is have a single team manager who does all of the registration stuff and sets the password for ALL of their users to the same string. The passwords are only "secured" with an MD5 hash - so the string you define for a new user doesn't matter. There's no email address associated with anyone, just name, age range, weight and team affiliation.

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `ctc_users` (
  `user_id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `user_name` varchar(200) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `user_pass` varchar(40) DEFAULT NULL,
  `user_category` enum('MHWT','MLWT','F','FLWT','FHWT') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'MHWT',
  `team_id` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT NULL,
  `user_agegroup` enum('-','U20','20-29','30-39','40-49','50-59','60+') DEFAULT '-',
  PRIMARY KEY (`user_id`),
  UNIQUE KEY `user_name` (`user_name`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=11955 ;
I can bulk load users from a spreadsheet. If you share one with me on Dropbox or Google docs.

If you want to automate the c2ctc.com website with something like BeautifulSoup4 or Java in your app I have no objections as long as you don't break it. You have to do your testing on the live system.

The whole system is self registration & self posting of results. There's no way to delete a user or a result without raw SQL against the database. The registration system is a bit clunky. I'd have changed that to be easier to use if I could but I don't own the code. I don't even have a test version anywhere. It's all built with PHP and updated with a HTTP POST form (look at the HTML you get and you'll see how desperately clunky it really is - it ain't the way we'd do it now).

The entries table looks like

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `ctc_entries` (
  `entry_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `user_id` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
  `challenge_id` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
  `entry_value` varchar(20) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `entry_time` timestamp NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
  `entry_type` enum('NEW','UPDATED') DEFAULT 'NEW',
  PRIMARY KEY (`entry_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=73949 ;
The challenges table looks like

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `ctc_challenges` (
  `challenge_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `challenge_title` varchar(200) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `challenge_desc` text,
  `challenge_month` enum('Jan','Feb','Mar','Apr','May','Jun','Jul','Aug','Sep','Oct','Nov','Dec') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'Jan',
  `challenge_year` enum('2005','2006','2007','2008','2009','2010','2011','2012','2013','2014','2015','2016','2017','2018','2019','2020','2021','2022','2023','2024','2025') DEFAULT '2020',
  `challenge_type` enum('time','distance') DEFAULT NULL,
  `challenge_open` enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N',
  `challenge_finished` enum('N','Y') DEFAULT 'N',
  `challenge_target_time` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT '0',
  `challenge_target_distance` int(10) unsigned DEFAULT '0',
  `challenge_season` enum('05/06','06/07','07/08','08/09','09/10','10/11','11/12','12/13','13/14','14/15','15/16','16/17','17/18','18/19','19/20','20/21','21/22','22/23','23/24','24/25') DEFAULT '20/21',
  PRIMARY KEY (`challenge_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=190 ;
The teams table looks like

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `ctc_teams` (
  `team_id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `team_name` varchar(200) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `team_colour` varchar(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT '#FFFFFF',
  -- icon column is not used. 
  `team_icon` varchar(100) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  PRIMARY KEY (`team_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=143 ;

User avatar
Citroen
SpamTeam
Posts: 6555
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by Citroen » July 28th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Recess wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 4:25 am
I was assuming that Thais was asking if one of the "CTC show-runners" could / or wanted to add the "CTC events" to the the ErgZone app for users to load up and row to.
I'm having trouble parsing that sentence as it's littered with some of your jargon. I have no idea what you mean by "CTC show-runner" nor what you mean by "CTC events" (plural). I don't use ErgZone and I'm not on Faceborg so can't see your pages on there. I've also not been near an ergo since March 16th and can't even think about it before 3rd August.

User avatar
Recess
500m Poster
Posts: 74
Joined: September 17th, 2013, 5:10 am

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by Recess » July 28th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Ok. I’ll calm down my writing jargon.

I believe Thais is asking if the CTC challenges can be added to the ErgZone app. This means there will be a list of workouts, with the Cross Team Challenge as a heading which groups these together.

Users of the app just need to choose the CTC heading - and the current challenge for that month can be selected, automatically programming the monitor, ready for them to row.

As the CTC is something that you run - I believe Thais was asking permission to include this (for free) on their app, rather than adding it, and using your brand without your knowledge. She may also have been asking if anyone who runs the CTC would be interested in taking charge of this. But it seems as you don’t use ErgZone, that is very unlikely.

I do use their app, and I spend a fair bit of my time trying to promote and help facilitate ways for people to access all of aspects of indoor rowing. As such, I have offered to do the programming of each month’s challenge into the ErgZone app for users to find and row.

Sorry to hear you haven’t been able to row since lockdown hit. I can’t imagine how frustrating that may be.

John.

User avatar
Citroen
SpamTeam
Posts: 6555
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by Citroen » July 28th, 2020, 7:29 pm

By the time I've added a new challenge to the database you can access it from the web page with http://c2ctc.com/index.php?c_id=190 is August 2020 CTC (current July challenge is #189 at http://c2ctc.com/index.php?c_id=189 or http://c2ctc.com/index.php). Otherwise you won't know what to program in your app until 12:00 BST (or GMT in winter) on 1st of the month after the switch-over. Or by reading the commentary on this forum thread.

thaiscamilo
Paddler
Posts: 5
Joined: July 26th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by thaiscamilo » July 28th, 2020, 10:28 pm

Perfect.

That works for us. We will make sure to keep an eye out here before the beginning of each month.
Citroen wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 7:29 pm
By the time I've added a new challenge to the database you can access it from the web page with http://c2ctc.com/index.php?c_id=190 is August 2020 CTC (current July challenge is #189 at http://c2ctc.com/index.php?c_id=189 or http://c2ctc.com/index.php). Otherwise you won't know what to program in your app until 12:00 BST (or GMT in winter) on 1st of the month after the switch-over. Or by reading the commentary on this forum thread.

User avatar
Recess
500m Poster
Posts: 74
Joined: September 17th, 2013, 5:10 am

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by Recess » July 29th, 2020, 2:33 am

1st of the month is all we need, but thank you kindly for the links. And for allowing your challenge to be added.
John.

KeithT
10k Poster
Posts: 1118
Joined: February 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by KeithT » July 29th, 2020, 10:15 am

Slothful1 wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 1:32 am
Forum Flyers are pleased to announce, that after a close vote, the August challenge will be:

2020 in pieces - 4 x 505m with 2 minutes rest, and take the time of your slowest 505m interval for the challenge. First interval from a static flywheel, but other intervals can be rower's choice.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Dave
Love the idea of this one from a strategy perspective - can't drive the average down with a stronger last interval and cant be too conservative in any of them, will be hard to guess and may take more than one try to get it right.
52 yo, 6'3" 200#
PBs (all since turning 50):
1 min - 373m, 500m - 1:21.9, 1K - 2:59.8, 4 min - 1265m, 2K - 6:29.4, 5K - 17:27, 30 min - 8277m, 10K - 36:14, 60 min - 16110, HM - 1:20:17, FM - 2:47:46

User avatar
Tinpusher
2k Poster
Posts: 271
Joined: June 11th, 2006, 12:43 pm
Location: Caledon East, ON

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by Tinpusher » July 29th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Hey Dougie, sorry to hear your streak came to an end. Out of curiosity is there anyone left with a 100% participation record? I think I'm perfect since June 2006. Cheers!
David Chmilowskyj
M 53 6ft 4in/1.94m 227lb/103kg
Team Oarsome
PBsImage

User avatar
Citroen
SpamTeam
Posts: 6555
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by Citroen » July 29th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Tinpusher wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 3:28 pm
Hey Dougie, sorry to hear your streak came to an end. Out of curiosity is there anyone left with a 100% participation record? I think I'm perfect since June 2006. Cheers!
A quick'n'dirty SQL check of folks who rowed CTC #1 vs CTC #189 gives

Warren Matthews
Sir P
Jon Goodall
Graham Todd

I've not checked those four for entries in all the intervening CTCs (need to get my SQL coding pencil sharpened for that). I can't remember how I did it last time (that may be hiding in this thread).

User avatar
Tinpusher
2k Poster
Posts: 271
Joined: June 11th, 2006, 12:43 pm
Location: Caledon East, ON

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by Tinpusher » July 31st, 2020, 2:47 pm

A short but distinguished list. Cheers Dougie.
David Chmilowskyj
M 53 6ft 4in/1.94m 227lb/103kg
Team Oarsome
PBsImage

CaseyClarke
1k Poster
Posts: 140
Joined: July 1st, 2016, 8:59 am

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Post by CaseyClarke » August 2nd, 2020, 6:35 am

Good CTC so far but it’s leading to a fair few input errors. People are inputting their slightly faster /500m pace from the right hand column of the PM instead of the 505m pace from the left column. Typically there’s anything between 0.8 and 1.2 difference between the two depending on the pace range. Funnily enough I predicted it would happen to a fair few people.

Post Reply