WRIC Results with Splits

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.
Hillclimber
2k Poster

WRIC Results with Splits

Post by Hillclimber » February 18th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Results from WRIC in Alexandria, VA, US, are posted here in short order following the individual event.
https://www.ergsprints.com/2018-live-results/
Of particular note is the easy access to splits - always interesting.
Damien
59, 6-5_216 lbs
Damien Roohr

Droode
1k Poster

Re: WRIC Results with Splits

Post by Droode » February 18th, 2018, 12:42 pm

I am not seeing any results from today’s events just the competitors for each category. Also the live streaming could not be any worse if it was dial up.

Hillclimber
2k Poster

Post by Hillclimber » February 18th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Looks like Benko broke his own recent WR in 50-54 HW M at 6:01.7. I believe his previous a few weeks ago was 6:06. Wow.
59, 6-5_216 lbs
Damien Roohr

bojam
500m Poster

Post by bojam » February 18th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Hillclimber wrote:Looks like Benko broke his own recent WR in 50-54 HW M at 6:01.7. I believe his previous a few weeks ago was 6:06. Wow.
Only Graham Benton beat him in the class above... and he would have won the 30-39....

Remo
500m Poster

Post by Remo » February 18th, 2018, 8:31 pm

Benko is amazing.

I am sure there are more, but here are some other highlights.

On Saturday, 59 year old Tom Darling, ex TeamUSA stalwart, rowed 8,689m in 30 minutes, or a screaming pace of 1:43.6/500m. Tom currently holds the Men's 2k record for 55 - 59 with a time of 6:12.6 -- which should be safe for the next 4 years. (Benko turns 55 in 5 years).

There was a great race between Paul Flack (Olympic Gold Medalist in the kyack and a past winner of the BIRC) and lightweight Frank Vetrano in the 30 min (60-69) row. Both oarsmen are 61 years old. They were dead even for the first 27 minutes until Flack pulled away with a sprint that Ventrano wasn't able to match.

Another great race (at least on paper, I haven't seen the video yet) was the Men's (60-64) 2k, where Jonathan Bone (aka Navigation Hazard) passed both Steve Krum and Gustave Schoch in the last 500 with a scorching split of 1:33.6 and an overall time of 6:35.0, Krum was second at 6:36.2, and Schoch came in at 6:39.5
Stewart MH 61 https://log.concept2.com/profile/4926
Started rowing at Cal in 1975 and sculled for a few years thereafter. Still follow the sport religiously. Have kept in shape with occasional bouts with the erg, a bit more often recently

Cyclist2
5k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » February 19th, 2018, 11:19 pm

Got home today after the great weekend in VA. Lots of names familiar on this forum in the mix. My race went well - I dropped the DF to 120 to keep a high rate (being more aerobic than strong) and it seemed to help. Beat my previous SB by three seconds, took the silver. It was an all U.S. podium in this category (65-69 Lwt) this year. I met lots of those people, and more, had great conversations. Reconnected with an old college buddy. All that made it worth the trip.

In the "real" competition, I beat Rick (Yankeerunner) in the lightest weigh in at 150lbs fully clothed to his 155 or thereabouts. I saw one guy in this cramped, little (coed) weigh-in room in his underwear - not rowing shorts. Seriously, dude?! I did hear from several people who were near the limit saying the scales were widely varying. Frustrating for those who have to think about that.

This regatta sure had a different feel than CRASH-B last year. You know the history of CRASH-B, and that "good 'ol boy let's have a fun erg race for a hammer" vibe was definitely missing. This was very formal, referees all over the place, procedures to follow, etc., etc. For the 11 am group, it was at least 30 minutes between our warmup and the race - wait in the hallway, get the speech in the marshalling room, follow the referee onto the race floor, find your erg.

The spectators had even a harder time. We didn't know which erg we were going to be on until we walked onto the floor, so the fans had to scramble to find their racer. There were so many ergs that the bleachers in this gymnasium were pushed way back, making seating minimal. Most people just stood at the ropes separating the ergs on the floor. There were no giant screens displaying the boats' progress, and the announcing was just a roaming guy looking at individual monitors, rushing from one end of the gym to the other to report on the different races. The live web feed was just as random, not easy for my virtual family and friends to follow. I guess races in each heat were starting at various times because there were no audible calls - they told us to go when it said "ROW" on our individual monitors, so the spectators didn't even know when any particular race started!

Bottom line (IMHO); if they are going to call this the WORLD ROWING INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS then they had better do a much better job for both the racers and spectators or (most) everyone will just drift back to the CRASH-Bs to renew old friendships, have a fun little erg race and get beers afterward. (I'm interested to hear from people who have attended many more of these "world championships" than I have).
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster

Post by lindsayh » February 20th, 2018, 5:57 am

Cyclist2 wrote:Bottom line (IMHO); if they are going to call this the WORLD ROWING INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS then they had better do a much better job for both the racers and spectators or (most) everyone will just drift back to the CRASH-Bs to renew old friendships, have a fun little erg race and get beers afterward. (I'm interested to hear from people who have attended many more of these "world championships" than I have).
Well done Mark with a nice last 500m - strong finish always feels good. Disappointing about the day though.
I must say that after Boston last year (my only one) I wasn't completely surprised that it was moved - it was IME very badly organised by what I understand was a new and inexperienced committee. I assumed that C2 felt that way and thought they had found a better option. Sounds like maybe they haven't done due diligence or supported the new venue. You are right though just calling it the WIRC doesn't make it the WIRC. Needs resources and a bigger vision - have a look at the Japanese event! It seems that BIRC does a better job - lets all go to London some time!
Lindsay
66yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2

bojam
500m Poster

Post by bojam » February 20th, 2018, 6:12 am

lindsayh wrote: It seems that BIRC does a better job - lets all go to London some time!
The more the merrier ... as to BRIC last year's had it's own problems ... one set was running late so had to catch up so we had less time than usual to set up df and w/u. Bring back the Bristol Indoor Rowing Challenge (2K, 1K, 500m and cakes).

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » February 20th, 2018, 6:48 am

bojam wrote:
lindsayh wrote: It seems that BIRC does a better job - lets all go to London some time!
The more the merrier ... as to BRIC last year's had it's own problems ... one set was running late so had to catch up so we had less time than usual to set up df and w/u. Bring back the Bristol Indoor Rowing Challenge (2K, 1K, 500m and cakes).
Overall level is way to low to call it a World championship. Lots of races are very modest. The open should always have a winner in the low 5.40 s. Its not important enough the way it is now. At best its the open North American championship, bit like the euro open.
To attrackt the top rowers, it needs price money/sponsors.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

Yankeerunner
6k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » February 21st, 2018, 10:22 am

Cyclist2 wrote: In the "real" competition, I beat Rick (Yankeerunner) in the lightest weigh in at 150lbs fully clothed to his 155 or thereabouts. I saw one guy in this cramped, little (coed) weigh-in room in his underwear - not rowing shorts. Seriously, dude?! I did hear from several people who were near the limit saying the scales were widely varying. Frustrating for those who have to think about that.
I was 152.7 lbs fully clothed, and wasn't even carrying my gym bag this year! You beat me fair and square. I guess I'm not training hard enough.

As to the venue, I agree with your comments. I thought that they put forth a big effort to get things right, but it ended up being a bit frustrating, especially with the long wait between warmup and race, and the lack of the big screens so that as spectators we could follow the action of the other races.

I heard several times that next year it might be in Toronto. Eh?

Edward4492
10k Poster

Post by Edward4492 » February 21st, 2018, 3:40 pm

Congrats guys! Nice silver medals by Rick, Mark, and Rod who also went under 7min. And of course Nav Haz with his thrilling sprint victory. I wasn't there, but nothing on the "erg scene" compares with the CRASH B's spectacle.

H2O
2k Poster

Post by H2O » February 21st, 2018, 5:52 pm

Amazing times being reported here. Congratulations to all participants.