BIRC 2008

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.
c2brickett
Paddler

BIRC 2008

Post by c2brickett » June 19th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Hello everyone!

Concept2 wants to encourage participation at International Indoor Regattas for athletes at all levels of competition. In the past, Concept2 supported a select team of athletes to travel to the EURO Open. For 2008, Concept2 is looking into putting together a travel package for the BIRC on October 26 in Birmingham, England. Competitors of all levels (and spectators) are encouraged to attend – no qualifying time necessary!

In the new format, Concept2 will arrange for discounted travel arrangements. Participants will be responsible for their own expenses.

Race details:
British Indoor Rowing Championship (B.I.R.C.)
Sunday, October 26, 2008
National Indoor Arena, Birmingham UK

Come pull a fast 2k - then reward yourself with fish & chips with a pint!

Please email us at indoorracing@concept2.com by July 16, 2008 to let us know if you are interested in joining the Concept2 BIRC Team and we will keep you updated with details. Please include how many people you anticipate will be in your group.

As always, let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

The Concept2 Indoor Racing Team
Brickett Bailey
Lisa Washburn
Mark McAndrew

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » June 19th, 2008, 4:02 pm

Remember that's a 20oz pint (568ml) of warm, brown beer with upwards of 4.5% alcohol by volume. Not that undrinkable, ice cold stuff served in 16oz pints in Leftpondia.

The meal of choice in Birmingham isn't fish'n'chips but more likely a good English curry.

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » June 20th, 2008, 12:22 am

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it this year as I will be working over in Mongolia on Oct 26.

My wife and I did make it to the BIRC last year in Birmingham and we would highly recommend it. It was a great opportunity to meet other ergers and try and match your goals in a competitive, but friendly and encouraging, environment.
Birmingham has lots of shops and the Cotswalds are not too far away. Of course if your coming from North America you may want to spend a few days in London also.

There is way too much to see and do, just use the BIRC as an excuse to get over there. Our favorite times were in the small pubs checking out the local beer and talking to the local people.

My two cents worth.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

Yankeerunner
6k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » June 21st, 2008, 9:00 am

I've been to the past six BIRCs, the past five on my own, and highly recommend it.

Depending on the arrangements and cost I might like to join the group.

Rick

atblsb
Paddler

Post by atblsb » September 14th, 2008, 9:04 pm

It happened to work out for me that I will be in Europe at the same time as the BIRC. I will be arriving in London on the Friday before the BIRC (from Frankfort). Are there any Americans heading over and is there a recommended hotel/motel? If not, is there a recommended hotel from our English colleagues? Also, I would also be looking to perform a ligh row on Friday - can this be accomodated. Thanks.

Andrew Benko

PaulG
2k Poster

Post by PaulG » October 27th, 2008, 9:59 am

Yankeerunner wrote:I've been to the past six BIRCs, the past five on my own, and highly recommend it.

Rick
Congratulations Rick. Second place in 60-64 LWT with a 7:10.1.

tdekoekkoek
1k Poster

Post by tdekoekkoek » October 27th, 2008, 1:19 pm

What a strange time of the year for an indoor rowing championship. I haven't even started my erg training regimen. And in England they have more unfrozen water to row on than they normally do here in Boston.

Oh well, to each his own. Sounds like fun, but I can't ever imagine being ready for this one at this time of year. For me, I'll be racing at the Head of the Hooch this weekend down in warm (I hope) Chattanooga.

Cheers,

Trevor
Trevor de Koekkoek: 46yrs, 190lbs

[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1204034405.png[/img]
Latest Rowing Videos:[url=http://www.rowtube.net]http://www.rowtube.net[/url]

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » October 27th, 2008, 4:57 pm

tdekoekkoek wrote:What a strange time of the year for an indoor rowing championship.
It's normally the last weekend in November. This year the arena wasn't available on that date due to Sir Cliff Richard having a 50th anniversary concert on that weekend.

Yankeerunner
6k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » October 27th, 2008, 8:37 pm

PaulG wrote:
Yankeerunner wrote:I've been to the past six BIRCs, the past five on my own, and highly recommend it.

Rick
Congratulations Rick. Second place in 60-64 LWT with a 7:10.1.
Thanks Paul,

It was a good experience, as usual. Only saw one other Yank....Paul Siebach of Virginia set a new championship record (and new American record) of 6:26.3 in the 50-54 lwts.

Rick

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » October 28th, 2008, 4:24 am

tdekoekkoek wrote:What a strange time of the year for an indoor rowing championship. I haven't even started my erg training regimen. And in England they have more unfrozen water to row on than they normally do here in Boston.

Oh well, to each his own. Sounds like fun, but I can't ever imagine being ready for this one at this time of year. For me, I'll be racing at the Head of the Hooch this weekend down in warm (I hope) Chattanooga.

Cheers,

Trevor
There may be water, but there is also rain and wind ;-)