Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
User avatar
1leechristopher
Paddler
Posts: 1
Joined: June 12th, 2024, 1:44 pm

Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by 1leechristopher » June 14th, 2024, 12:29 pm

Hi all! How do you ensure you're getting enough vitamins and minerals after exercising or biking? Any tips for balancing your post-workout meals?

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2929
Joined: January 13th, 2022, 10:49 am

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by Sakly » June 15th, 2024, 9:13 am

Nowadays nutrition is a kind of religion :lol:
For me it's very easy. Typically I eat two times a day, rarely 3 meals, if training (probably over several days) is very exhausting.
Typical meals in the morning consist of 6 eggs, 500g fatty cottage cheese with mixed nuts and some berries or a banana, meals during lunch time typically a steak around 400g (Entrecote, rump or some other beef cuts, sometimes lamb) + butter or bacon depending on the fat content of the cut and 500ml Kefir afterwards. That's it.
Sometimes in the evening or after training I eat some fish (mackerel or trout typically) or some cheese I like.
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:15.3
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

gvcormac
5k Poster
Posts: 555
Joined: April 20th, 2022, 10:27 am

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by gvcormac » June 15th, 2024, 10:03 am

Sakly wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 9:13 am
Nowadays nutrition is a kind of religion :lol:
For me it's very easy. Typically I eat two times a day, rarely 3 meals, if training (probably over several days) is very exhausting.
Typical meals in the morning consist of 6 eggs, 500g fatty cottage cheese with mixed nuts and some berries or a banana, meals during lunch time typically a steak around 400g (Entrecote, rump or some other beef cuts, sometimes lamb) + butter or bacon depending on the fat content of the cut and 500ml Kefir afterwards. That's it.
Sometimes in the evening or after training I eat some fish (mackerel or trout typically) or some cheese I like.
What's your LDLC/ApoB?

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2929
Joined: January 13th, 2022, 10:49 am

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by Sakly » June 15th, 2024, 10:33 am

gvcormac wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 10:03 am
Sakly wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 9:13 am
Nowadays nutrition is a kind of religion :lol:
For me it's very easy. Typically I eat two times a day, rarely 3 meals, if training (probably over several days) is very exhausting.
Typical meals in the morning consist of 6 eggs, 500g fatty cottage cheese with mixed nuts and some berries or a banana, meals during lunch time typically a steak around 400g (Entrecote, rump or some other beef cuts, sometimes lamb) + butter or bacon depending on the fat content of the cut and 500ml Kefir afterwards. That's it.
Sometimes in the evening or after training I eat some fish (mackerel or trout typically) or some cheese I like.
What's your LDLC/ApoB?
I don't know. And that's mainly because I'm not interested in any bloodwork, when feeling well.
Since I started to eat like this, my overall health and strength and recovery improved (some of it massively), so I think there is no need to check anything.
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:15.3
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 10116
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by Dangerscouse » June 15th, 2024, 1:12 pm

gvcormac wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 10:03 am
Sakly wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 9:13 am
Nowadays nutrition is a kind of religion :lol:
For me it's very easy. Typically I eat two times a day, rarely 3 meals, if training (probably over several days) is very exhausting.
Typical meals in the morning consist of 6 eggs, 500g fatty cottage cheese with mixed nuts and some berries or a banana, meals during lunch time typically a steak around 400g (Entrecote, rump or some other beef cuts, sometimes lamb) + butter or bacon depending on the fat content of the cut and 500ml Kefir afterwards. That's it.
Sometimes in the evening or after training I eat some fish (mackerel or trout typically) or some cheese I like.
What's your LDLC/ApoB?
I can only comment on eggs & fish. I eat five eggs five days a week, and my LDLC was excellent as of two weeks ago. I also eat a lot of oily fish, and cheese, but I eat so little bedf and lamb to be able to say I don't eat it.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 10116
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by Dangerscouse » June 15th, 2024, 1:15 pm

1leechristopher wrote:
June 14th, 2024, 12:29 pm
Hi all! How do you ensure you're getting enough vitamins and minerals after exercising or biking? Any tips for balancing your post-workout meals?
I just make sure to eat a varied healthy diet and lots of water throighout the day. Not much else to add tbh.

I don't consider the micro nutritional values as that takes care of itself when I eat well.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

gvcormac
5k Poster
Posts: 555
Joined: April 20th, 2022, 10:27 am

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by gvcormac » June 15th, 2024, 1:53 pm

Sakly wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 10:33 am
gvcormac wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 10:03 am

What's your LDLC/ApoB?
I don't know. And that's mainly because I'm not interested in any bloodwork, when feeling well.
Since I started to eat like this, my overall health and strength and recovery improved (some of it massively), so I think there is no need to check anything.
Atherosclerosis builds over decades, and is generally asymptomatic until late stages.

As you note, there are various religions focused on nutrition, but that's not to say they are equally well supported by the evidence.

It does appear that most elimination diets seem to result in calorie deficit, resulting in weight loss and improved health markers -- at least in the short term. Hence their following.

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2929
Joined: January 13th, 2022, 10:49 am

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by Sakly » June 15th, 2024, 2:35 pm

gvcormac wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 1:53 pm
Sakly wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 10:33 am
gvcormac wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 10:03 am

What's your LDLC/ApoB?
I don't know. And that's mainly because I'm not interested in any bloodwork, when feeling well.
Since I started to eat like this, my overall health and strength and recovery improved (some of it massively), so I think there is no need to check anything.
Atherosclerosis builds over decades, and is generally asymptomatic until late stages.

As you note, there are various religions focused on nutrition, but that's not to say they are equally well supported by the evidence.

It does appear that most elimination diets seem to result in calorie deficit, resulting in weight loss and improved health markers -- at least in the short term. Hence their following.
Typically any issue builds up over decades.
I never saw any evidence supporting any claim made to a specific diet, so in fact no religion focused on nutrition is supported by evidence.
Only anecdotes support individual outcomes, so is mine. No back pain in the morning anymore, no joint pain due to heavy loads in the gym (with loads even higher now and more frequent due to better recovery with less sleep), no bowel issues anymore (and I mean NO issues at all) and some other improvements.
Even if there is building up something in the next decades, I'm fine with it, as my quality of life is much better now. But I hardly believe it will, as I think that most of these problems build up based on combination of missing activity and eating garbage all day.
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:15.3
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

gvcormac
5k Poster
Posts: 555
Joined: April 20th, 2022, 10:27 am

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by gvcormac » June 15th, 2024, 6:57 pm

Sakly wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 2:35 pm

I never saw any evidence supporting any claim made to a specific diet, so in fact no religion focused on nutrition is supported by evidence.
I don't agree with the implication that there's no evidence regarding proper nutrition, and I encourage anybody who's interested to seek out evidence in the academic literature, not on YouTube.

For sure, some YouTubers provide references which can provide you with an entry to the literature, but don't take their word for what the cited studies say. Be especially skeptical of the conspiracy theorists who implore you to buck the scientific consensus.

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2929
Joined: January 13th, 2022, 10:49 am

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by Sakly » June 15th, 2024, 11:03 pm

gvcormac wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 6:57 pm
Sakly wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 2:35 pm

I never saw any evidence supporting any claim made to a specific diet, so in fact no religion focused on nutrition is supported by evidence.
I don't agree with the implication that there's no evidence regarding proper nutrition, and I encourage anybody who's interested to seek out evidence in the academic literature, not on YouTube.

For sure, some YouTubers provide references which can provide you with an entry to the literature, but don't take their word for what the cited studies say. Be especially skeptical of the conspiracy theorists who implore you to buck the scientific consensus.
I'm absolutely fine with your opinion.
I didn't read all studies made for nutrition evaluation, but in the end these studies are often very flawed by their control, as control mechanisms are typically very weak. If the control mechanisms are very tight, the studies are very short (of course), so cannot inform about long term outcomes. So in fact there is no single study (I know of), which can inform about a real cause and effect on nutritional outcomes.
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:15.3
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

gvcormac
5k Poster
Posts: 555
Joined: April 20th, 2022, 10:27 am

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by gvcormac » June 16th, 2024, 5:44 am

Sakly wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 11:03 pm

I'm absolutely fine with your opinion.
I didn't read all studies made for nutrition evaluation, but in the end these studies are often very flawed by their control, as control mechanisms are typically very weak. If the control mechanisms are very tight, the studies are very short (of course), so cannot inform about long term outcomes. So in fact there is no single study (I know of), which can inform about a real cause and effect on nutritional outcomes.
Framingham study was not short and is ongoing. Neither were Ancel Keys' studies.

Influencers will tell you to ignore anything other than randomized controlled trials with an endpoint of absolute all-cause mortality risk. They are wrong. We have learned lots of things (e.g. the laws of physics) without conducting randomized controlled trials.

That said, there have definitely been randomized controlled trials that measure relative risk and risk factors. They simply can't, by definition, measure lifetime risk of all-cause mortality.

If you wish to ignore this evidence, I can't stop you. I hope at least some readers will do their own due diligence.

alex9026
2k Poster
Posts: 282
Joined: September 11th, 2022, 1:24 pm

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by alex9026 » June 16th, 2024, 7:17 am

Sakly wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 9:13 am
Typical meals in the morning consist of 6 eggs, 500g fatty cottage cheese with mixed nuts and some berries or a banana
You eat more protein at breakfast than the average being on a western diet eats in a day... Relative to your fat consumption, I'm very much on the high carb end of the spectrum in my diet, I'm one of the few people who finds it satiating.

As Dangerscouse mentions, there doesn't need to be too much concern about micronutrient requirements being met if we eat well in general, and consume a variety of fruits (best time of year for it if you're in the UK) and veg.
33 6'2 93kg
1min 362m 500m 1:26 2k 6:31 5k 17:52

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2929
Joined: January 13th, 2022, 10:49 am

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by Sakly » June 16th, 2024, 7:54 am

gvcormac wrote:
June 16th, 2024, 5:44 am
Framingham study was not short and is ongoing. Neither were Ancel Keys' studies.
But observational, no control at all. So what's the point here?
gvcormac wrote:
June 16th, 2024, 5:44 am
Influencers will tell you to ignore anything other than randomized controlled trials with an endpoint of absolute all-cause mortality risk. They are wrong. We have learned lots of things (e.g. the laws of physics) without conducting randomized controlled trials.
You compare a learning in physics, where you can absolutely setup an experiment with fixed conditions to get evidence for a specific behavior or outcome, with any observational study in nutrition? I would question that comparison.

Sure, observation can give some outputs, if the link is very strong, as example when it was observed that smoking people had much higher incidence of lung cancer. Much higher meant several 1000% higher incidence, so it was a clear outcome, even only by observation.
If we are talking about 20 or 30% higher "risk" for something in observational studies based on whatever single condition, without knowing all other factors, it's a joke.
gvcormac wrote:
June 16th, 2024, 5:44 am
That said, there have definitely been randomized controlled trials that measure relative risk and risk factors. They simply can't, by definition, measure lifetime risk of all-cause mortality.
Sure, they are typically too short (the more controlled, the shorter they need to be) and they cannot prove that any other factor beside the "risk factors" has influence on the measured "risk".
gvcormac wrote:
June 16th, 2024, 5:44 am
If you wish to ignore this evidence, I can't stop you. I hope at least some readers will do their own due diligence.
As I said, for me this is no evidence.

Our discussion already shows why this thing called nutrition is a kind of religion.
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:15.3
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2929
Joined: January 13th, 2022, 10:49 am

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by Sakly » June 16th, 2024, 8:04 am

alex9026 wrote:
June 16th, 2024, 7:17 am
Sakly wrote:
June 15th, 2024, 9:13 am
Typical meals in the morning consist of 6 eggs, 500g fatty cottage cheese with mixed nuts and some berries or a banana
You eat more protein at breakfast than the average being on a western diet eats in a day... Relative to your fat consumption, I'm very much on the high carb end of the spectrum in my diet, I'm one of the few people who finds it satiating.

As Dangerscouse mentions, there doesn't need to be too much concern about micronutrient requirements being met if we eat well in general, and consume a variety of fruits (best time of year for it if you're in the UK) and veg.
Could be the case :lol:
It's around 110-120g protein and fat, carbs depending on berries or banana, but not more than 50-60g for breakfast.

I eat nearly no fruit and veg, so it seems to be no problem.
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:15.3
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 10116
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Micronutrients requirement after exercise or biking

Post by Dangerscouse » June 16th, 2024, 9:30 am

alex9026 wrote:
June 16th, 2024, 7:17 am
I'm very much on the high carb end of the spectrum in my diet, I'm one of the few people who finds it satiating.
Me too. I always have carbs with meals, and I don't find that they're fattening for me. I seem to work best with a lot of carbs, but I do have to avoid wheat (not gluten), which does cause me issues.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Post Reply