Mod Squad: A cowboy's work is never done!

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Mod Squad: A cowboy's work is never done!

Post by jackarabit » July 16th, 2017, 7:10 am

--from June 18, 2015 (occasioned by the "loss" of forum member "Speedy," a short time here and a long time gone).
Citroen wrote:Quite true. The only moderation I do on here is deleting all the spammer's crud and fixing broken [quote] and [YouTube] tags. Since we got rid of Ranger there's nothing else to do.

--and from two days ago:
Citroen wrote: You can have the moderator job.

It gets to a point where you can't be a***ed with all the s**** and junk that turns up on any thread where Paul45 is involved and locking it is easier than trying to purge that stuff. If Paul hasn't posted by the August Bank Holiday I'll consider unlocking the "Shawn Baker" thread. But every time Paul promises to behave or promises not to visit the forum that lasts about a week. There is a very high level of temptation to get PaulH to enact a permanent ban on Paul.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_71_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Mod Squad: A cowboy's work is never done!

Post by Citroen » July 17th, 2017, 3:09 pm

And your point is?

There's been a degree of degeneration in the posts on here since the UK forum was terminated (without prejudice). You're welcome to the moderator job if you'd like it. Simple request: "Dear forum, please play nicely."

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » July 17th, 2017, 6:22 pm

I bore the cross of volunteer moderator on a RecV/camper forum for just over a year. I learned quite enuf about the shifting sands of member interaction and my own subjectivity when invoking the moderational tools to despair of ever achieving the perfect pitch of patience and judgment necessary to discourage intentional disruption and quantfiable deviation from generally acceptable norms of civility and self-control. The intent of my post was to illustrate that frustration by juxtaposing your changing view of the personal cost of merely ruining one's eyesight vs. losing one's equanimity (and sanity). Your peace of mind should be the major factor in deciding whether you want to continue in the moderator role.

Do you think the swelling of our ranks coincident with the closing of two "UK" forums has created a collision of cultures and manners in the forum? Are you planting a subliminal suggestion that this forum might be terminated (with prejudice)? We enjoy this forum at the pleasure and expense of Concept 2 so certainly a possibility.

Is there a reason why Paul45's posts were laterally expunged from locked threads whereas those of Ranger remain on view?
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_71_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » July 17th, 2017, 6:56 pm

My tactics with moderation, now, are to expunge things. That's easier than trying to edit the crap out of them.