Logbook and interval trainings

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
Edo76
Paddler

Logbook and interval trainings

Post by Edo76 » October 24th, 2020, 7:59 am

Hi rowers,

first message here, I'm a newbie in Logbook so please forgive me if my question has already been debated.

It's about adding interval training workouts. The platform allows us to only add an overall distance and overall timing, but in case of interval training it may not reasonate with what we did. For example, my last session was based on time intervals with this pattern: 1'15" at 24 strokes, 15" second active rest, then 1'15" at 26, each couple repeated 10 times. I may add my satisfactory - for my standards - 6,190 meters in a total of 25 minutes, but it wouldn't represent what I actually did. Even by excluding active rest (15"x20=5') I would insert unrealistic values. My performance with interval training cannot be compared with making 6,190 meters straight in 20 minutes. In that case that would mean I rowed at 1'36", that is totally unrealistic for me, and for some others I guess :D

What do you think about it? As interval traning plays a relevant part of workouts it'd be great to be able to add them precisely. Possibly, the platform could have the same fields as in C2 workout selection, and then calculate the total and the average correctly.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Logbook and interval trainings

Post by Citroen » October 24th, 2020, 9:15 am

Are you using Ergdata on your phone/iPad to write your log?

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » October 24th, 2020, 10:17 am

Use an app to load your training, and use the text option to right what you did exactly. Gives all the information there is.

Cyclist2
6k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » October 24th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Program your intervals and rests in the PM. Then when you look at the memory on the PM later, it has the total time and meters for the interval session, plus each interval listed so you can extract the info you want and enter it in your logbook. It has the total rest meters at the bottom of the list, which you can add as a separate entry in your logbook if you are counting meters, or just ignore it.

I guess using ErgData does the same thing automatically with more detail, but I'm a pen and paper, record from the PM, enter in the logbook manually guy. But I'm also currently just staying fit, not training, so I don't need all the details. Even with ErgData, if you want comments to explain your workout, you have to manually edit the logbook entry. (I don't use ErgData, so I may not have that completely accurate).
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » October 25th, 2020, 4:37 am

Cyclist2 wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 1:07 pm
Program your intervals and rests in the PM. Then when you look at the memory on the PM later, it has the total time and meters for the interval session, plus each interval listed so you can extract the info you want and enter it in your logbook. It has the total rest meters at the bottom of the list, which you can add as a separate entry in your logbook if you are counting meters, or just ignore it.

I guess using ErgData does the same thing automatically with more detail, but I'm a pen and paper, record from the PM, enter in the logbook manually guy. But I'm also currently just staying fit, not training, so I don't need all the details. Even with ErgData, if you want comments to explain your workout, you have to manually edit the logbook entry. (I don't use ErgData, so I may not have that completely accurate).
This is correct. Data gets entered, comments need to added by hand.

Dino
6k Poster

Post by Dino » October 25th, 2020, 5:17 am

As others have said just use variable intervals to program and record whatever you need. It takes a bit of button pushing but you can do it. One of my workouts is 4 x15mins on 2r but each 15 mins is 6 mins at 5k pace and 9mins at HM pace. I use variable intervals on time 6,9,2r,6,9,2r,6,9,2r,6,9 so when rowing I can see the average pace for each of the segments. In the logbook these will each be a line you can click on and get more info when recorded with Ergdata.
52M HWT 18/19, 19/20, 20/21 - Team: 50Plus - Zwift Rowing
1m 326m, 500m 1:38,7, 1k 3:35.7, 2k 7:17.6, 5k 19:06.6, 6k 23:26.0, 30m 7730m, 10k 39:26.1, 60m 15025m, HM 1:25:04.7, FM 2:59:26.0, 50k 3:49:17.3

Edo76
Paddler

Post by Edo76 » October 25th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Citroen wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:15 am
Are you using Ergdata on your phone/iPad to write your log?
not yet, actually I'd like to start now to keep a proper record of my training, so I'll have a look a it.
Does it work via bluetooth? Guess so.

thanks!

Edo76
Paddler

Post by Edo76 » October 25th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Cyclist2 wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 1:07 pm

good tip!

thanks

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » October 25th, 2020, 2:36 pm

Edo76 wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 1:40 pm

not yet, actually I'd like to start now to keep a proper record of my training, so I'll have a look a it.
Does it work via bluetooth? Guess so.
It uses BTLE rather than plain old BT.