Model C, PM4, Loging data to Android via USB C & Stand - advice please

Topics relating to online racing and training with 3rd party software.
Atacama40
Paddler

Model C, PM4, Loging data to Android via USB C & Stand - advice please

Post by Atacama40 » August 17th, 2020, 10:08 am

Afternoon all, been reading lot of posts with info on connecting phones to Concept 2 but getting a little mixed messages ... probably my lack of understanding.

Have a model C with PM4. High meters from new unit, both in excellent condition.This week at last have gone smartphone (Sony Xperia 1 Mk II with USB C)

Reading mixed reports of reliability connecting to PM4. Possible to get some advice please if it's worth to do or problematic.

Part of me would like go PM5 but not sure that brings so much to me that PM4 does not. Happy to understand if I have that wrong that said.

Is it reliable and feasible to connect the USB C Android device to the PM4 reliably?

And can it be charged at the same time? I'm guessing the unit will not charge at same time. I read one post about a Y USB connector that could charge while recording data. Is that feasible?

And might this cable be a decent one for this set up? Looks decent quality and has right angle connection.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PDKKS88/ ... UTF8&psc=1

And finally which is the best phone holder to use please.

Advice, input, experiences would be very gratefully received. Time to blow some dust off the machine and burn some Covid19 months fat :D

Thanks in advance

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Model C, PM4, Loging data to Android via USB C & Stand - advice please

Post by Citroen » August 17th, 2020, 10:37 am

Your Android device needs USB-C OTG. The PM4 only supports a wired USB-A to USB-B (printer cable) connection.

You may be able to use a USB-A splitter cable to charge a phone and power the PM4.
Atacama40 wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 10:08 am
That clearly depends on the phone. Creating something with a 3D-printer is probably the best option.

Atacama40
Paddler

Post by Atacama40 » August 17th, 2020, 10:49 am

Citroen wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 10:37 am
Your Android device needs USB-C OTG. The PM4 only supports a wired USB-A to USB-B (printer cable) connection.

You may be able to use a USB-A splitter cable to charge a phone and power the PM4.
Atacama40 wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 10:08 am
That clearly depends on the phone. Creating something with a 3D-printer is probably the best option.
Many thanks for the rapid reply Citroen.

I continued reading and in fact found a couple of post you had made which suggests reasoning for going PM5 and indeed this is (during that short time) what I have done.

Also incorrectly I said I had PM4 when I had PM3! Only found out when I went to take come photos to list it on Ebay!!! Amazingly broken ones for parts fetch £35 and workers just north of £50! And as you mention in another post ... worth to sell at that price funding a good part of the new unit.

I looked at the C2 Bluetooth demo on Youtube and I have to say that looks more to my liking. If I read it right, I can plug a normal USB cable from the PM5 to my old laptop which can power the unit, can BT the phone to the PM5 and then put a USB C cable from the phone to a wall (or laptop) charger.

I think this preserves all options to keep the PM5 and phone charged and record stats?

And in fairness I've not spent a penny on the C2 for years and so have also ordered a new handle as well.

Now the hard part getting back on. I was only 300k meters short of 5 million when I decided carb load and watch TV!!!!! 15+ kgs on later ..... what a waste.

Many thanks again for explaining. Ironically your other posts confirmed my thinking.

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » August 17th, 2020, 11:52 am

I would move to a PM5 if you want to start using Ergdata.

The latest PM5 running V168 firmware can do it all including running Ergdata and Rowpro at the same time because it has Bluetooth.

The micro in the PM5 is way faster and the onboard flash memory replaces the very slow logcard with limited memory space.

The advantages of the PM5 are a bit hidden and it's not until you start using it do you appreciate the difference.

Concept 2 also make a great phone holder for the PM5 that doesn't fit the PM4.

Just sell your PM4 and recover some of the cost of a new PM5 it's worth it. I have 2 PM5 nonitors now with the earlier hardware version as my spare.

My PM4 is now on my "museum shelf" on display with every main version of monitor concept 2 has ever made.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

CJOttawa
500m Poster

Post by CJOttawa » August 17th, 2020, 8:14 pm

FWIW, a USB-C Power Delivery hub is the way to go if you're trying to keep a phone charged for a super long row. (half to full marathon would be enough to drain my phone battery)

Photo of a mini-PD hub with a 6-inch cable connecting it to the PM5: https://imgur.com/shwsCe3
(it'll work with the PM3 or PM4 as well, with a longer USB cable)

Vapor Fitness make a reinforced silicone phone cradle that's much more refined than Concept2's plastic one: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07YN5QCDX/
(disadvantage is it won't fit the PM3 or PM4)

I use the wired connection for reliability, and it frees up the BTLE connection for Zwift.

CJOttawa
500m Poster

Post by CJOttawa » August 29th, 2020, 8:21 pm

Minor bump here as I can't edit older replies with updated photos. My latest USB hub setup:

https://i.imgur.com/ME7HE3w.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SuBEDfy.jpg

The NPE-CABLE pod on the monitor arm below the battery compartment acts as a bridge and converter to trick Zwift into thinking the rower is a bike. That's only possible if the connection between the PM5 and the phone is wired.

yupus
Paddler

Post by yupus » September 12th, 2020, 5:59 am

I bought a Model C with a PM3 earlier this year. Upgraded to a PM5 immediately. So much more useful and either Ergdata link or USB stick in the back. Also PM5 on the Model D at the gum so use that to record via Ergdata. Works a treat. Other benefit is that my Polar H10 links to the PM5 at the same time as the phone. Oh and the PM5 is backlit.

I then sold the PM3 on ebay so the PM5 only cost me a net £45.