This thing really works...

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
JonWalters
Paddler
Posts: 21
Joined: May 28th, 2018, 10:24 am

Re: This thing really works...

Post by JonWalters » June 3rd, 2018, 2:17 pm

Hi Hobbit

If your running PB’s are like Dangerscouse’s rowing times, then you were a much better runner than me!

However, that is a good rule of thumb, and my PBS of 19:24 5k and 40:36 10k are almost perfectly in line...

Unfortunately these were at least 5 years ago, and I suspect I have more chance of a sub-20 5k on the rower than I do of being able to run that fast again any time soon
Fat boy trying to get slim(mer)
Ashtead, UK
5ft 9; 46; 86kg
Image

aandersen1982
Paddler
Posts: 4
Joined: July 15th, 2018, 9:30 pm

Re: This thing really works...

Post by aandersen1982 » July 15th, 2018, 9:50 pm

JonWalters wrote:Nice idea Allan... most of my workouts are done with a HRM, and I rather like the idea of being able to measure progress even when focussing solely on endurance/weight loss

Which HRM do you get to sync with the PM5?
I am looking to buy one.

Allan Olesen
1k Poster
Posts: 122
Joined: April 27th, 2018, 6:40 am

Re: This thing really works...

Post by Allan Olesen » July 16th, 2018, 12:12 pm

aandersen1982 wrote: Which HRM do you get to sync with the PM5?
Any Ant+ compatible HRM. All Garmins will work.
There are other communication standards supported by the PM5, but i don't remember which.

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2128
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: This thing really works...

Post by lindsayh » July 18th, 2018, 7:12 am

Allan Olesen wrote:
aandersen1982 wrote: Which HRM do you get to sync with the PM5?
Any Ant+ compatible HRM. All Garmins will work. There are other communication standards supported by the PM5, but i don't remember which.
The Wahoo TickR works really well for me
Lindsay
66yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2

DavidA
6k Poster
Posts: 827
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 4:35 pm
Location: Amberley Village, OH
Contact:

Re: This thing really works...

Post by DavidA » July 18th, 2018, 3:12 pm

lindsayh wrote:
Allan Olesen wrote:
aandersen1982 wrote: Which HRM do you get to sync with the PM5?
Any Ant+ compatible HRM. All Garmins will work. There are other communication standards supported by the PM5, but i don't remember which.
The Wahoo TickR works really well for me
I have also been happy with it.

David
57 y / 70 kg / 173 cm / 5 kids / 11 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994

JonWalters
Paddler
Posts: 21
Joined: May 28th, 2018, 10:24 am

Re: This thing really works...

Post by JonWalters » August 12th, 2018, 11:19 am

Quick update...

I had another attempt at my HM PB today and got it down to 1:34:29.2....

To be honest, I was half hoping I might squeeze under 1:34:00, but I think I got a bit carried away and pushed too hard in between 10-15k, which meant it was bloody hard work, and for the last 10 mins I was really huffing and puffing....

Now I need to update my signature!

Jon
Fat boy trying to get slim(mer)
Ashtead, UK
5ft 9; 46; 86kg
Image

Dangerscouse
10k Poster
Posts: 1351
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: This thing really works...

Post by Dangerscouse » August 12th, 2018, 2:27 pm

DavidA wrote:
July 18th, 2018, 3:12 pm
lindsayh wrote:
Allan Olesen wrote: Any Ant+ compatible HRM. All Garmins will work. There are other communication standards supported by the PM5, but i don't remember which.
The Wahoo TickR works really well for me
I have also been happy with it.

David
I have had a few connection issues with the Tickr but that might be my fault. Apart from that it is good
44 Years Old; 6' 4"; 95kg; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:29; 6k= 21:54; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,264m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

Instagram: stuwenman

Dangerscouse
10k Poster
Posts: 1351
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: This thing really works...

Post by Dangerscouse » August 12th, 2018, 2:37 pm

JonWalters wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 11:19 am
Quick update...

I had another attempt at my HM PB today and got it down to 1:34:29.2....

To be honest, I was half hoping I might squeeze under 1:34:00, but I think I got a bit carried away and pushed too hard in between 10-15k, which meant it was bloody hard work, and for the last 10 mins I was really huffing and puffing....

Now I need to update my signature!

Jon
More or less five mins knocked off the PB!?! :shock: great effort.

This is a good marker to judge your next HM against. Going slower to go faster is counter intuitive but for a HM it does work. Pacing is important and difficult to judge when you start doing longer distances.
44 Years Old; 6' 4"; 95kg; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:29; 6k= 21:54; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,264m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

Instagram: stuwenman

JonWalters
Paddler
Posts: 21
Joined: May 28th, 2018, 10:24 am

Re: This thing really works...

Post by JonWalters » August 14th, 2018, 3:32 am

Dangerscouse wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 2:37 pm

More or less five mins knocked off the PB!?! :shock: great effort.

This is a good marker to judge your next HM against. Going slower to go faster is counter intuitive but for a HM it does work. Pacing is important and difficult to judge when you start doing longer distances.
Thanks Stu - the 5 min reduction has been achieved in two chunks, and in just over 2 months, so I’m pleased overall with signs of progress...

This may be a daft question, but do people generally recommend negative splits, or doing the 2nd half of a race quicker than the first half?

For example, for this HM I decided to row at 2:15/500m for the first 11,000m, and then I sped up (I was trying to catch-up with a 2:14 pace boat in RowPro). I did this because about a week ago I attempted a HM at a steady pace of 2:14/500, and ending up bailing at 60 mins.

What pacing strategies do others use?

Jon
Fat boy trying to get slim(mer)
Ashtead, UK
5ft 9; 46; 86kg
Image

Dangerscouse
10k Poster
Posts: 1351
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: This thing really works...

Post by Dangerscouse » August 14th, 2018, 6:23 am

JonWalters wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 3:32 am
Dangerscouse wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 2:37 pm

More or less five mins knocked off the PB!?! :shock: great effort.

This is a good marker to judge your next HM against. Going slower to go faster is counter intuitive but for a HM it does work. Pacing is important and difficult to judge when you start doing longer distances.
Thanks Stu - the 5 min reduction has been achieved in two chunks, and in just over 2 months, so I’m pleased overall with signs of progress...

This may be a daft question, but do people generally recommend negative splits, or doing the 2nd half of a race quicker than the first half?

For example, for this HM I decided to row at 2:15/500m for the first 11,000m, and then I sped up (I was trying to catch-up with a 2:14 pace boat in RowPro). I did this because about a week ago I attempted a HM at a steady pace of 2:14/500, and ending up bailing at 60 mins.

What pacing strategies do others use?

Jon
I personally prefer to flat pace and maybe neg split for the last 4-5k of a HM. Some days you're just firing on all cylinders and some days you aren't prepared and your head is telling you to give up. That's always a consideration regardless of preferred strategy.

HMs are a mental battle as well as they go on for quite a long time so you are more susceptible to negative thoughts. You will need to build your cardio base, which does take quite a lot of time, then you will be a lot more comfortable on timings, and don't always try and PB; not every day can be the best day. Accept the sessions where you are going slower but still relatively comfortable
44 Years Old; 6' 4"; 95kg; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:29; 6k= 21:54; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,264m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

Instagram: stuwenman

bob01
1k Poster
Posts: 190
Joined: February 7th, 2018, 10:59 am

Re: This thing really works...

Post by bob01 » August 24th, 2018, 8:40 am

lindsayh wrote:
May 28th, 2018, 6:41 pm
if you are primarily using the erg to help with weight loss then longer slower steady pieces is the most important part of your training. Obviously weight loss is mostly connected to what you eat rather than how you exercise but keeping your heart rate and pace in the fat burning range is best and you wont be going fast. Have a look at some good threads here that discuss all that. By doing some good long steady sessions (40+ minutes) you will improve fitness and your longer distances will improve as well. Your 5km+ times seem relatively slower than the shorter ones. Improved fitness will lead to better performances in these ones.
I would question ... fat burning Zone

Post Reply