Expectations!

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
Johnny6162
Paddler
Posts: 34
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 3:08 am

Re: Expectations!

Post by Johnny6162 » February 27th, 2018, 2:32 am

It looks like we are all making improvements!
51 Years Old, 6' 1/2", 112kg (247lbs),
Aim to be 100kg before the summer.

Dangerscouse
10k Poster
Posts: 1537
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Expectations!

Post by Dangerscouse » February 27th, 2018, 7:05 am

Dreadfish wrote:Good effort Johnny.
I know that feeling.
I'm a sweater and every time I leave the gym I'm drenched. A bit embarrassing at times. Did a weigh in on Saturday and down to 118.5 kg. That was after a session so probably had about 1kg of sweat in my clothes and was wearing shoes. Lol. I did weigh in at 120 but then realised I still had my phone wallet and a full drink bottle in my hand and dropped to the 118.5 when I put them down.
Personally I see being drenched in sweat as a badge of honour, as you've clearly worked hard.
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Johnny6162
Paddler
Posts: 34
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 3:08 am

Re: Expectations!

Post by Johnny6162 » February 27th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:
Dreadfish wrote:Good effort Johnny.
I know that feeling.
I'm a sweater and every time I leave the gym I'm drenched. A bit embarrassing at times. Did a weigh in on Saturday and down to 118.5 kg. That was after a session so probably had about 1kg of sweat in my clothes and was wearing shoes. Lol. I did weigh in at 120 but then realised I still had my phone wallet and a full drink bottle in my hand and dropped to the 118.5 when I put them down.
Personally I see being drenched in sweat as a badge of honour, as you've clearly worked hard.

I tend to agree.
51 Years Old, 6' 1/2", 112kg (247lbs),
Aim to be 100kg before the summer.

Neorticros
500m Poster
Posts: 82
Joined: August 2nd, 2017, 9:47 am

Re: Expectations!

Post by Neorticros » March 1st, 2018, 5:53 am

Buy sweatproof t-shirts, makes a huge difference :P They don't need to be fancy, you can buy them for 3-4 euro each in Decathlon. And they work wonders.
I bought like 6 of those Kalenji t-shirts in Decathlon and 4 tennis shorts that also dont get wet and have wide pockets to put my phone there so I can listen to music while rowing and I'm good to go.

Great improvements there btw !! Keep it up !!!!!!

Johnny6162
Paddler
Posts: 34
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 3:08 am

Re: Expectations!

Post by Johnny6162 » March 5th, 2018, 10:42 am

Well I'm now on week 7 and just completed my second row of 6 on the Interactive Weight Loss Programme. Yesterday was UT1 work and just 2 x 16 minutes after a warm up and fi fishing with a cool down. Today was 3 x 6 minute AT, again after a warm up and finishing with a cool down. Again, this was a marked lowering from last week's efforts but I'm thinking this is all part of the plan as tomorrow is my first ever BE session. 6 x 3 minutes. Possibly it lowered on the first two rows to rest up some aches and pa8ns for tomorrow's increased tempo?

I hope the TR work kick starts some more weight loss as I've stabilised a bit, though partly due to having a few parties lately!

Keep it up everyone.

Johnny
51 Years Old, 6' 1/2", 112kg (247lbs),
Aim to be 100kg before the summer.

Johnny6162
Paddler
Posts: 34
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 3:08 am

Re: Expectations!

Post by Johnny6162 » March 6th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Just finished my first TR session since this programme started. Different gravy! Christ it hurt and felt uncomfortable!

I hung in and completed 6 x 3 minutes at 28 strokes a minute, holding a pace of 1:49 to 1:51 throughout. I've no idea if this is good, bad or otherwise but it was pretty much all I had!

So glad I'm back to a slow steady UT1 tomorrow!

I will let you all know if I see any change to my weight loss next week when I've been around the TR sessions a bit longer.

Keep it up everyone.
51 Years Old, 6' 1/2", 112kg (247lbs),
Aim to be 100kg before the summer.

Dreadfish
2k Poster
Posts: 375
Joined: December 13th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Re: Expectations!

Post by Dreadfish » March 6th, 2018, 3:02 pm

into the AT sessions next week. not looking forward to those either. trying to fit in the Mud challenge as well this month so doing extra workouts.
weight has stabilised a bit so need to re assess my diet i think
Erik
55 yo from New Zealand
6'4 and 115kg

Image

Johnny6162
Paddler
Posts: 34
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 3:08 am

Re: Expectations!

Post by Johnny6162 » March 7th, 2018, 1:49 am

Dreadfish wrote:into the AT sessions next week. not looking forward to those either. trying to fit in the Mud challenge as well this month so doing extra workouts.
weight has stabilised a bit so need to re assess my diet i think
You'll probably benefit from the AT stuff Erik. It's a nice ramp up and you'll have mixed emotions about working harder but being on it a bit less time!

I never count my warm up and cool down as "work" as I'm never exhausting myself during this period. In fact during the cool down I will stop and stretch out my hamstrings or calves to get rid of any stiffness.

Keeping going buddy.
51 Years Old, 6' 1/2", 112kg (247lbs),
Aim to be 100kg before the summer.

warnie
500m Poster
Posts: 90
Joined: March 27th, 2018, 5:27 pm
Location: Wales UK

Re: Expectations!

Post by warnie » April 26th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Great thread Johnny, very interesting reading and all the comments from the others too. well done on the weight loss.

I've just started back rowing after years away (2 weeks in) and I've been building my distance slowly - up to 8.5km now and did my first CTC challenge today for Forum Flyers. Next week I'm starting the Pete Plan (beginner) as I don't know all the lingo yet but I'd determined to make this work.

I've lost 8 stone in the last 4 years and have 2 to go but even in the two weeks I've been rowing I'm noticing changes in my back, chest and waist. Combined with training on the bike 9wattbike) I think it's a great combination.

Dreadfish
2k Poster
Posts: 375
Joined: December 13th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Re: Expectations!

Post by Dreadfish » May 13th, 2018, 11:22 pm

weight loss is still slow but im ok with that. now down to 114.5kg
ive had a change of direction a bit in that im doing time rows now. was up to 45 min sessions 5 days a week then had a back problem followed by my wife being hospitalised and then needing 24hr supervision for a few days... then i had a tooth removed. so a bad April.
was hoping to get to a level to do the HM challenge this month but not likely as my issues with April put me back at least 4 weeks from where i was at. oh well

hows everyone else doing?
Erik
55 yo from New Zealand
6'4 and 115kg

Image

Johnny6162
Paddler
Posts: 34
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 3:08 am

Re: Expectations!

Post by Johnny6162 » October 1st, 2018, 1:30 pm

Well, what can I say! I was really involved with my rowing whilst out here in Saudi Arabia, the weight was dropping and all was good. Then came my first UK visit and I got side tracked away from rowing during my three week visit. I dabbled with the gym on my return but left the rowing alone.

My holiday weight gain and no longer using the rower led to the beginning of the end, and sad to say, all the bad habits crept back in.

However, I did convince myself that some weight training would be good for me and I did stick with that, three days a week for 14 weeks. The weight dropped slightly but nothing significant and certainly nothing compared to what I achieved rowing. So, I'm now back and I'm going to try and combine rowing with the weights.

I'm following the Strong Lifts 5x5 weight training programme and I'm using the Concept 2 Interactive Weight Loss Programme. The weights are 3 days a week and the rowing is over a 4 day week. Initially I will be training 7 days a week with one programme or the other but once things begin to get a bit challenging I will double up on one weekend day to give myself a whole day off.

Good to see some of the same names about. Good luck everyone.
51 Years Old, 6' 1/2", 112kg (247lbs),
Aim to be 100kg before the summer.

Dreadfish
2k Poster
Posts: 375
Joined: December 13th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Re: Expectations!

Post by Dreadfish » October 1st, 2018, 3:17 pm

Hi Johnny
wondered what had happened with you. good to see you back on the erg. i started doing some weight training as well but did something to my left forearm doing dumbell curls that is taking weeks (well months to be honest and the drs are proving next to useless in helping) to sort itself out and this is really affecting my erg time. have dropped from 5/6 times a week to 3/4 times. my arm aches something wicked during the first 5-10 mins of a session then the day after a session. my weight has really flatlined with no loss over the last 8 weeks i really need to sort my diet out as i also have slipped into the old ways and a little too much of the sugar water. i would probably notice a decrease straight away if i cut them out.
Erik
55 yo from New Zealand
6'4 and 115kg

Image

Johnny6162
Paddler
Posts: 34
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 3:08 am

Re: Expectations!

Post by Johnny6162 » October 2nd, 2018, 12:20 am

Dreadfish wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 3:17 pm
Hi Johnny
wondered what had happened with you. good to see you back on the erg. i started doing some weight training as well but did something to my left forearm doing dumbell curls that is taking weeks (well months to be honest and the drs are proving next to useless in helping) to sort itself out and this is really affecting my erg time. have dropped from 5/6 times a week to 3/4 times. my arm aches something wicked during the first 5-10 mins of a session then the day after a session. my weight has really flatlined with no loss over the last 8 weeks i really need to sort my diet out as i also have slipped into the old ways and a little too much of the sugar water. i would probably notice a decrease straight away if i cut them out.
Hi Erik,

I hope the arm is on the mend fella. Keep at it. I'm gpingbto try and be fairly strict. I'm feeling lardy and just want to shed a few easy/early kg's to get some motivation back. My first row back should be this evening. I input a desire to lose 17kg and it suggested with 4 sessions a week this should be achieved in 17 weeks. This was assuming a clean diet but not taking into account any weight training I do. The weight training has made me a fair bit stronger so in some ways I'm looking forward to seeing if I have any more to give the erg.

I've mainly been doing compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, bench press and overhead press. I'm quite excited by the thought of blasting some lard off my belly now to see if I've got any definition below the lard!

I need to stay with this!
51 Years Old, 6' 1/2", 112kg (247lbs),
Aim to be 100kg before the summer.

Dangerscouse
10k Poster
Posts: 1537
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Expectations!

Post by Dangerscouse » October 4th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Johnny6162 wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 1:30 pm
Well, what can I say! I was really involved with my rowing whilst out here in Saudi Arabia, the weight was dropping and all was good. Then came my first UK visit and I got side tracked away from rowing during my three week visit. I dabbled with the gym on my return but left the rowing alone.

My holiday weight gain and no longer using the rower led to the beginning of the end, and sad to say, all the bad habits crept back in.

However, I did convince myself that some weight training would be good for me and I did stick with that, three days a week for 14 weeks. The weight dropped slightly but nothing significant and certainly nothing compared to what I achieved rowing. So, I'm now back and I'm going to try and combine rowing with the weights.

I'm following the Strong Lifts 5x5 weight training programme and I'm using the Concept 2 Interactive Weight Loss Programme. The weights are 3 days a week and the rowing is over a 4 day week. Initially I will be training 7 days a week with one programme or the other but once things begin to get a bit challenging I will double up on one weekend day to give myself a whole day off.

Good to see some of the same names about. Good luck everyone.
Good to see you back Johnny
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Johnny6162
Paddler
Posts: 34
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 3:08 am

Re: Expectations!

Post by Johnny6162 » October 9th, 2018, 10:56 am

First row back today due to admin work getting a car and family visas occupied far too much time, followed by illness on 7th and 8th October. So today, my first day in my 52nd year, I've got back at it!

I used the interactive weight loss programme and kicked off with an 8 minute warm up, then two x 18 minutes @ 24 SPM and 8 minute cool down.

It's a start!
51 Years Old, 6' 1/2", 112kg (247lbs),
Aim to be 100kg before the summer.

Post Reply