Long journey ahead ......

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
Pluto man
Paddler

Re: Long journey ahead ......

Post by Pluto man » February 24th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Another update on my progress.
It’s a month since I started my journey and I’ve loved it and the sensation of rowing and knowing I am getting fitter.

How fitter is a question I wanted to test myself over the last few days and I have found out. I am not into chasing personal best times but they are a good marker for how I am improving regarding, overall fitness, improved breathing and general well-being.

So my best time for a 5k row was 23.08 and now it is 21.23 so almost 2 minutes better :D

Also the longest I had previously rowed was 45 minutes and managed 8 thousand meters in that time. This morning I rowed for an hour and managed 12,300 meters at a speed of 2.26 / 500 meters. So I'm very happy with that.

In a month I have rowed 170k meters, so that is 170 kilometres, just saying it makes me think it is an unbelievable distance. I have burnt a total of 10,000 calories and exercised for a total of 14 hours and 30 minutes ... gosh! From a couch slob to someone who doesn’t collapse at the mention of exercise is a nice improvement.

My weight well I have lost a total of 6 kilos (about 12 pounds in old money) In the previous month so losing about 3 pound a week. Nothing drastic but just cutting back on sugary treats, portion control and eating a little healthier. I’m no saint and still have what I fancy, just smaller amounts and not as often. Also cut down on my alcohol consumption since Christmas and that seemed to have worked.

Anyway thanks for reading guys and to everyone that wants to use the concept 2 rower as a means of losing weight, they are ideal if you start steady and build up distance, rate and length of workout slowly but more importantly watch what you eat and monitor calorie intake.

Regards, Neil.
52 yo, 105Kgs, 182cm, started the journey 25/01/2019.

Ombrax
2k Poster

Post by Ombrax » February 24th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Great job, Neil. :)

Another thing I might throw out there is that unless you're someone who really likes a fixed routine, it's a good idea to get some of variety in your workouts. First, it helps keep things interesting so you don't get bored, and second, a mix of longer and slower and shorter and faster (i.e. intervals) makes for a better exercise plan for your body.

Good Luck

Dangerscouse
10k Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » February 24th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Ombrax wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Another thing I might throw out there is that unless you're someone who really likes a fixed routine, it's a good idea to get some of variety in your workouts. First, it helps keep things interesting so you don't get bored, and second, a mix of longer and slower and shorter and faster (i.e. intervals) makes for a better exercise plan for your body.

Good Luck
Totally agree with this. It's always a good idea to keep the body guessing at what is coming to really drive weight loss. It adapts all too quickly to the same stimuli and stresses.

Also, that's a great increase in your 5k PB
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Allan Olesen
2k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » February 24th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Pluto man wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 2:43 pm
to everyone that wants to use the concept 2 rower as a means of losing weight, they are ideal if you start steady and build up distance, rate and length of workout slowly but more importantly watch what you eat and monitor calorie intake.
Exactly!

To put this into perspective: 1 kg of body fat is approx. equal to 7000 kcal. You have burned 10.000 kcal in your training (and C2 are even somewhat optimistic about calorie burn). That is 1.5 kg of body fat. But you lost 6 kg.

So 25% of your weight loss came from the C2, and the other 75% probably came from eating more healthy. Which is quite close to what I have seen in my own 28 kg weight loss.

Pluto man
Paddler

Post by Pluto man » February 25th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Ombrax wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Good Luck
Thank you and yes I try and do just that. It’s fun to mix things up.
52 yo, 105Kgs, 182cm, started the journey 25/01/2019.