Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
glenone
Paddler
Posts: 2
Joined: January 17th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by glenone » January 17th, 2012, 7:06 pm

I have just started rowing and eating right. I also use a well-known ski machine. The doctor says to take off at least 80 lbs. and then I can probably get rid of tri-glyceride and blood sugar medications.
Seeing what so many of you have done gives me great encouragement. Thanks. :)

djh
1k Poster
Posts: 129
Joined: January 26th, 2009, 10:14 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by djh » January 17th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Tons of stuff in Search, already written:

http://www.c2forum.com/search.php
Doug
64 yrs/176 cm/74⅞ kg/8400 km
Lifetime: Image

jeremycfr
Paddler
Posts: 28
Joined: May 8th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by jeremycfr » August 28th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Good afternoon,

I can offer some suggestions to you since I have lost 88 lbs (about 10 to go by choice) and my waist is 15 inches smaller.

I have really changed my diet and workout routine over the past 5 months. I drink soy protein shake every 3 hours (from bodysolutionsystems) for a total of 5 per day, take a ton of vitamins, B12 shot once a week, a lean meat dinner, veggies, and large salad. I row 40 minutes in the morning and 25 minutes in the afternoon five days a week. I bike about 30 minutes, 3x a week, and walk 2 miles about 2 times per week. With that said, I started at 10 minutes, then 12, then 15, then 20, then 25, 30, etc... I slowly built up my time.

I feel great. I no longer take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, or blood sugar. At the end of the day, it will save me a ton of money.

User avatar
Atorrante
1k Poster
Posts: 193
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by Atorrante » September 21st, 2012, 10:03 am

^^ I think this is great encouragement...
54 years young, 5'7"
2K pb 7:05

j1huegel
Paddler
Posts: 26
Joined: August 20th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by j1huegel » September 23rd, 2012, 7:04 pm

I lost 45 pounds running, rowing and switching to low-carb diet. I had a heart attack 3 years ago, and was on meds for Triglycerides, Statins and Beta blockers. I have always been active, running 10-20 miles a week or equivalent rowing.

After the low-carb switch and weight loss, I'm off the Tri meds, and my beta blockers are at 1/4 dose, soon to come off I think.

The steady rows will help to burn calories, that's for sure. But for me the real solution was giving up most carbs. I'm at under 50 gm per day.

jeremycfr
Paddler
Posts: 28
Joined: May 8th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by jeremycfr » September 27th, 2012, 2:14 pm

j1huegel wrote:I lost 45 pounds running, rowing and switching to low-carb diet. I had a heart attack 3 years ago, and was on meds for Triglycerides, Statins and Beta blockers. I have always been active, running 10-20 miles a week or equivalent rowing.

After the low-carb switch and weight loss, I'm off the Tri meds, and my beta blockers are at 1/4 dose, soon to come off I think.

The steady rows will help to burn calories, that's for sure. But for me the real solution was giving up most carbs. I'm at under 50 gm per day.
What a great story. I am glad it is going well.

Steve140
Paddler
Posts: 4
Joined: October 27th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by Steve140 » October 27th, 2012, 10:39 pm

Best of luck on the shedding of pounds. My story is that I am 53 years old, and since I purchased my Concept2 Model D in April 2012, I have lost 35 pounds and counting. The nightly workout plan is simple. With either the television or music going, I use the 5,5,2 rowing plan. That is to say I row for 5,000 meters, and then rest for 2 minutes. Then I row another 5,000 meters and rest for another 2 minutes. I then cap the workout off with a 2,000 meter row. The pace is in the 2:20 per 500 meter range. This seems to work quite well for me. I hope this helps.

landyacht
Paddler
Posts: 1
Joined: November 3rd, 2012, 9:55 am

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by landyacht » November 3rd, 2012, 10:40 pm

I have lost 30 pounds since the Fourth of July by counting calories and not eating after I hit my daily limit of 500 less than estimated expenditure. I love to erg, but didn't during that time because I was recovering from arm surgery. Just now back to it which will help maintain the weight loss. I have two things to mention. First, I found it easier to control net calories by eating less than rowing more. Second, and this is where I broke new ground, at least for me; you cannot trust the signals sent from your stomach. If you feel weak, then you may need to eat, but a hungry stomach is typically bogus. Your stomach has been trained by nefarious marketeers to want to consume what they are selling. I could never control weight until I realized that these people didn't care at all about my health and yet had managed to become ventriloquists for my stomach. I seriously suggest that you ponder this weird reality, then develop a strong dislike for the folks selling you the standard American junk diet. It makes no sense to eat just because they have told your stomach to tell you to eat all the time. So, I suggest that you rebel with righteous anger against being controlled by your belly's bogus signals and take back your life.

Realistic
Paddler
Posts: 22
Joined: December 1st, 2012, 1:33 am

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by Realistic » December 27th, 2012, 8:54 pm

jeremycfr wrote:Good afternoon,

I can offer some suggestions to you since I have lost 88 lbs (about 10 to go by choice) and my waist is 15 inches smaller.

I have really changed my diet and workout routine over the past 5 months. I drink soy protein shake every 3 hours (from bodysolutionsystems) for a total of 5 per day, take a ton of vitamins, B12 shot once a week, a lean meat dinner, veggies, and large salad. I row 40 minutes in the morning and 25 minutes in the afternoon five days a week. I bike about 30 minutes, 3x a week, and walk 2 miles about 2 times per week. With that said, I started at 10 minutes, then 12, then 15, then 20, then 25, 30, etc... I slowly built up my time.

I feel great. I no longer take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, or blood sugar. At the end of the day, it will save me a ton of money.

That is seriously impressive. I don't know if I could ever muster up that kind of dedication. Basically you work out 8x a week not including the walking, which is nuts. Keep up the good work!

Personally speaking my weight is all over the board, about a year ago I got down to 142lbs from 184, and i'm now at 173. I need to lose some weight, but it seems more difficult this time around. I'm on some new medication that saps my appetite during the day, and I over eat after work.. Losing weight isn't rocket science, but it's easier said then done. I just need to man up and do what needs to be done.

User avatar
giftogab
Paddler
Posts: 43
Joined: January 8th, 2013, 7:29 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Contact:

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by giftogab » January 10th, 2013, 8:39 pm

I am no stranger to weight loss and weight gain. I am good at both though best at gain.

I have lost 70 pounds over the last few years. I now want to get of the spot and complete the loss and gain fitness in the process so I can enjoy all of the activities I like to do much better before I get too old. I still ahve a good 80 to go. I rowed last night on my new C2 for the first time. Not much to brag about but am eating a paleo diet and doing my own crossfit WODS in my garage. I have knee issues so running is out and the rower really is enjoyable to me. I am at the start of this endevour so hope to see some results fairly soon.
I HAVE SEEN THE MOUNTIAN, SLEPT ON ITS GLACIER AND FELT ITS MAJESTY

lugntochfint
Paddler
Posts: 2
Joined: January 13th, 2013, 10:05 am

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by lugntochfint » January 14th, 2013, 7:34 am

landyacht wrote:I have lost 30 pounds since the Fourth of July by counting calories and not eating after I hit my daily limit of 500 less than estimated expenditure. I love to erg, but didn't during that time because I was recovering from arm surgery. Just now back to it which will help maintain the weight loss. I have two things to mention. First, I found it easier to control net calories by eating less than rowing more. Second, and this is where I broke new ground, at least for me; you cannot trust the signals sent from your stomach. If you feel weak, then you may need to eat, but a hungry stomach is typically bogus. Your stomach has been trained by nefarious marketeers to want to consume what they are selling. I could never control weight until I realized that these people didn't care at all about my health and yet had managed to become ventriloquists for my stomach. I seriously suggest that you ponder this weird reality, then develop a strong dislike for the folks selling you the standard American junk diet. It makes no sense to eat just because they have told your stomach to tell you to eat all the time. So, I suggest that you rebel with righteous anger against being controlled by your belly's bogus signals and take back your life.
Thanks for this, I find it very inspiring. Over the years I've gone up and down in weight and am now at an exceedingly unhealthy BMI of 41 (three years ago it was 32). I just got a Concept 2 Model D and I'm hoping this will boost my morale as I fight my stupid obsession with junk food. I really think I behave much like a junkie with food and the only way to really motivate me to let go of this addiction is to make myself aware of how large I am by working out AND, as you so rightly point out, thinking about how I've been making these junk-food producers rich.

User avatar
insurroundsound
Paddler
Posts: 3
Joined: January 2nd, 2013, 10:14 pm
Location: Silicon Valley, California, USA

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by insurroundsound » January 14th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Glenone....best of luck to ya on this endeavor....I don't have as much to lose [need to lose around 40lb], but, nonetheless, it's still a mental challenge to keep motivated when you know the goal will not be reached overnight. I'm hoping we can all motivate one another to stick with our goals. I've owned a Concept2 erg for a bit now, but unfortunately, would only use it less than ten times a year over. Not good. I've been consistent now on it for the past 3 weeks --logging more time than I probably have in the last 3 years.

Some of the things that are helping me stay motivated this time is that 1) I'm finally utilizing the online logbook and forum; prior to this, I had never even unpacked my log card or reviewed my Concept2 manual/CD since I bought it; 2) I bought RowPro, and man! what a difference in motivating me to row. Once you set up some training routines [I'm using the Pete Plan] and a profile, the level of daily/weekly reports will help you track progress much better. Definitely worth it if you can get RowPro set up in front of you as early as possible. I haven't even taken advantage yet of the online rowing that's possible with RowPro; 3) I'm changing my eating habits; and 4) I'm not sweating the "big stuff". It can be a little demoralizing when you see some of these impressive split times on the forum, and I get winded as just a tenth of their effort. However, I put it in perspective and don't worry too much about it. I've seen just in several weeks how my times and endurance have improved, as my cardio and form have improved. It's gonna take time. How much time? Don't know, and I don't wanna sweat it. As much time as it takes to get good at my technique; as much time as it takes to improve my stamina; as much time as it takes to lose my unnecessary pounds.

Like Giftofgab, I row/work out in my garage...I believe that having things convenient help to keep me on track. I noticed this post was back in 01/2012, so looking forward to hearing of your ongoing progress and/or setbacks. [Ironic how inspiration so often comes in the shape of both.]
Image

seniram
Paddler
Posts: 7
Joined: January 1st, 2013, 3:59 pm

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by seniram » January 15th, 2013, 12:23 pm

I'm more in less in the same boat. About 70lbs to lose. I needed something I could do at home, running on the treadmill was too boring. SO far so good with the rower, loving my workouts.

I'm starting slow, I've over-trained in the past and it has led to injury, so trying to keep it around 20-30 min on workout days for the first month or so. I'll try to pick it up gradually.

The forum helps, as does joining an active team. It keeps you going back to the rower, and motivated.

Good luck to you!

Darren
Member of the Luna-tics

User avatar
giftogab
Paddler
Posts: 43
Joined: January 8th, 2013, 7:29 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Contact:

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by giftogab » January 28th, 2013, 9:37 am

Thanks to everyone. I am doing a little at a time to even get to some sort of 5 5 2 plan. mine is more 500 500 500 right now. I am also doing some kettle bells. I eat a paleo diet. It works for me. Carbs are just sugar waiting to hapen in m system and I lose weight and feel healthy avoiding them.

I look forward to getting where a consistant long row happens daily for me. I love to erg...just can't do it for long or even what others consider minimal stretches yet.
I HAVE SEEN THE MOUNTIAN, SLEPT ON ITS GLACIER AND FELT ITS MAJESTY

FIT AND 55
Paddler
Posts: 3
Joined: December 9th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Re: Need to Lose 80 lbs.

Post by FIT AND 55 » February 4th, 2013, 9:38 pm

I just read this post with all of its replies. I can't tell you how inspiring all of you have been to me. I have no doubt that you will lose your 80 lbs. I have been very consistent with my workouts since November. I also started using the online logbook. For me, this is a big motivator. I have struggled with my weight since 2009 when I started to feel the ill effects of menopause. Suddenly, how I used to work out in the past did not reap any results. let alone the ones I used to get. Everything changes. Well, my diet remains in tact - turkey, fish lean meat, chicken, veggies whole grain pasta brown rice and nothing fried! Oh yeah, tons of water. And, once a week do a "Me" day. The scale is not my friend. However, my clothes are starting to get loose.
My goal is to lose 30 lbs. We are all in this together. We can do it, no matter what.

Be well
Be healthy
Be happy

Barbara
(fit and 55)

Post Reply