I like this rowing thing.

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
Huysman
Paddler

I like this rowing thing.

Post by Huysman » October 1st, 2018, 2:47 am

I'm 5'8, 49 year-old male.
After too many knee injuries I was becoming way too fat (260lb).

A friend told me to start rowing, so I did.

I bought a brand new Concept2 D model and stared rowing using some youtube movies to learn the proper technique.

My goal is to get back in shape and loose some weight.
My first goal would be to get back to under 200lb.

To get more structure I have started with the Pete's plan. (lost already 11lb)
Is this a good plan to work on loosing weight?

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: I like this rowing thing.

Post by jamesg » October 3rd, 2018, 12:58 am

The erg in itself is good for us and is very easy to use at any time. Using it for essential regular exercise, reaching say ½h a day, 5-6 days a week, it gives us fitness and an increase of daily burn by about 3-400 kCal. Plans such as the Interactive Weight Loss and Pete help us to do this.

These plans presume we already know how rowing is done. If not, see the C2 technique video, which shows standard rowing technique using the legs, which will be strong already.
78y, 188cm, 87kg, last seen MHR 163. 2k (24 May 19) 8.46.6@22

Allan Olesen
2k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » October 3rd, 2018, 2:38 am

I don't have much knowledge about the Pete Plan, but as I have understood from forum posts, it is based on rather high intensities.

That is probably not what you want for weight loss, for two reasons:
  • When you do intensive training, you burn a lot of glycogen (sugar) instead of burning fat. If you are like me, this will make you hungry after the training. Fighting hunger is in my opinion the most important part of weight loss.
  • When you do intensive training, you will often end up doing shorter sessions and fewer sessions per week, consequently burning fewer calories overall.
I lost 28 kg (approx. 60 pounds, I believe) in 8 months, doing 1-3 daily hours of low intensity training of different kinds: Walking, very slow running, rowing, biking, paddling. In all my training sessions I monitored my heart rate and did not allow it to go above 130 BPM. I never felt hungry after a training session!

On top of the weight loss, this has given me a huge increase in aerobic fitness. I have more than doubled the Watts I can output at the same heart rate.

Dreadfish
2k Poster

Post by Dreadfish » October 3rd, 2018, 3:58 am

Check the thread expectations for the link to the interactive weight loss program. This is a program based on your level of fitness. Have a look and see what you think
Erik
56 yo from New Zealand
6'4 and 125kg

Huysman
Paddler

Post by Huysman » October 3rd, 2018, 4:36 am

Thanks for the replies.
It all makes sense to me.
It seems that I should focus more on long sessions at a lower intensities.(Might need to buy a HRM)
I will take a closer look at this interactive weight loss program.
I probably should use a low drag factor as well?
More like 100 in stead of 115?

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster

Post by lindsayh » October 4th, 2018, 6:44 am

Huysman wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 4:36 am
Thanks for the replies. It all makes sense to me. It seems that I should focus more on long sessions at a lower intensities.(Might need to buy a HRM)
I will take a closer look at this interactive weight loss program. I probably should use a low drag factor as well?
More like 100 in stead of 115?
Any rowing will help of course but the Pete is much more a training program directed at helping an already established rower improving 2k performance rather than losing weight and therefore has some very intense anerobic sessions that won't help with that so much.
Definitely longer slower/steady pieces will be more productive. The interactive plans are very well thought out.
Have a look on this thread as well - lots of good stuff.
The DF is less important IMO - 100 to 115 Is fine - just where you find it comfortable.
https://indoorsportservices.co.uk/training/guide
Lindsay
68yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

Cayenne
1k Poster

Post by Cayenne » October 24th, 2018, 11:25 am

Allan Olesen wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 2:38 am
I don't have much knowledge about the Pete Plan, but as I have understood from forum posts, it is based on rather high intensities.

That is probably not what you want for weight loss, for two reasons:
  • When you do intensive training, you burn a lot of glycogen (sugar) instead of burning fat. If you are like me, this will make you hungry after the training. Fighting hunger is in my opinion the most important part of weight loss.
  • When you do intensive training, you will often end up doing shorter sessions and fewer sessions per week, consequently burning fewer calories overall.
I lost 28 kg (approx. 60 pounds, I believe) in 8 months, doing 1-3 daily hours of low intensity training of different kinds: Walking, very slow running, rowing, biking, paddling. In all my training sessions I monitored my heart rate and did not allow it to go above 130 BPM. I never felt hungry after a training session!

On top of the weight loss, this has given me a huge increase in aerobic fitness. I have more than doubled the Watts I can output at the same heart rate.

Allen- Glad for you on the great results. I think your approach of high volume low intensity is wonderful for health. The only issue for many folks is having that amount of time. When you say 1-3 hours daily, does that break down to an hour most days and up to 3 hours on, for example, a weekend?

Allan Olesen
2k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » October 24th, 2018, 12:42 pm

It is not 3 hours of pure exercise, but also the "equivalent" value of my daily activity. Which probably requires some explanation:

When I exercise at a heart rate of 120-130 BPM and log the activity with my Garmin watch, I get approx. 2-300 kcal/hour on top of the calories I would have got anyway during that time if resting. Garmin defines these calories as "Active Calories".

In my watch, I can see how many Active Calories I have burned through the day. This number includes not only logged activities, but also calories from simply being active through the day. If I walk 10,000 steps during the day without logging an activity, it gives me approx. 300 kcal.

I have set a goal of 4200 Active Calories every week, which on average is 600 per day, which again is equal to 2-3 hours of exercising at 120-130 BPM.

So I could workout for 2-3 hours every day. Or I could workout for 1-2 hours and walk 10,000 steps during the day. Or I could walk 20,000 steps during the day. Each day is different, but I have done all three of those.

Cayenne
1k Poster

Post by Cayenne » October 24th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Thank you for your reply Allan.

As it turns out, I am searching for the right watch / fitness tracker.

Which Garmin model are you describing?

Allan Olesen
2k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » October 25th, 2018, 4:40 am

I now use a Garmin Fenix 5X+ Sapphire which is overkill for this purpose - but a quite nice watch.

I earlier used a Fenix 3 which could also do what I described above. I accidentally dropped it to the bottom of the Baltic Sea. With some luck, it can be found at one third of the price of the 5X+. (Edit: That could be misunderstood. I meant that with a little luck, a new one can be found at one third of the price. But of course - with a lot of luck, mine could be found for free if you look in the right place on the sea floor.)

There are also cheaper watches and fitness trackers from Garmin which can do it. But you have to look out for how they show calories. Some of them will only show total calories for the day, but you will want a watch which shows Active Calories, Resting Calories and Total Calories separately. Also if you do rowing on the water and want it correctly recorded on the watch as a rowing activity, not all of them will have that option.

From what I hear, an Apple Watch can't do what I described. They have another definition of active calories where the resting calories during a logged session are included in active calories. This will really mess up the data when doing low intensity training.

Flipster
Paddler

Post by Flipster » October 26th, 2018, 12:18 am

I am in the same boat! (Pun fully intended!). I'm 49 but with no knee injuries and I am just way too big, I always got away with it because I kind of have the build of a doorman or a retired rugby player but things just got way too out of control. My daughters got involved with rowing so I purchased a Concept2 and put it in the garage thinking the whole family would use it. I finally got around to using it about three weeks ago and I love it. It isn't easy but I really like the fully body workout. I use RowPro (additional software/visually pleasing) and a Garmin HRM (strap) to track my workouts. They also have a training guide that will construct a routine based on your current status and your goals. Mine started with about two weeks of creating a base by solely concentrating on form and the interval/time workouts followed, with all being mindful of heart rate. I complement rowing with weight training and other exercise and can already tell that this is really going to work for me. I am very pleased with everything at the moment. I wish you well.

pes949
Paddler

Post by pes949 » October 27th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Being diagnosed as a diabetic in January and weighing 285lbs at 5'9" the doctor said..."you need 30 minutes of exercise 5 days/week". I had not rowed in about 10 years due to a high stress long hours job. So I started rowing again and stayed with 30 minute sessions 5 days per week. it is 10 months later and I am down to 227. Weight goal is under 200lbs. My sessions are mostly 10k now. No more insulin required!!!

Now for diet... Simple... No cheating eating really bad stuff(cookies, donuts, cake, candy, etc.) period!!! No soda of any kind diet or otherwise. No artificial sweeteners. Drink lots of water. I still eat a healthy breakfast, a light lunch, snack at 2:30pm, and normal dinner. The key with eating is to eat a little less but not so your are craving your next meal. You need to focus on foods with protien and you still need complex carbs.

Do stretching before and after rowing
Drink water before and after you row

This is obviously working for me and that is why I am sharing it. In a short period at 61 years of age I am in the best physical shape I have been in for 25 years.

Do the on-line logbook and participate in the challenges. They are great motivators.
M/62/219Lbs/5'9"

DavidA
6k Poster

Post by DavidA » November 1st, 2018, 4:46 pm

It sounds like you have made some great progress, and are already seeing nice benefits.
Good luck with the continued success.

David
57 y / 70 kg / 173 cm / 5 kids / 11 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994

David Pomerantz
1k Poster

Post by David Pomerantz » November 4th, 2018, 7:01 pm

I’ve become a huge fan of rowpro. Using rowpro and HRM, has made rowing much more interesting. I row much longer sessions than I’d do on my own and with a lot more variety than I’d do on my own. Having a plan with a daily assignment really amps up the commitment and consistency.

Dave

RayOfSunshine
2k Poster

Post by RayOfSunshine » November 4th, 2018, 11:25 pm

Huysman wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 2:47 am
I'm 5'8, 49 year-old male.
After too many knee injuries I was becoming way too fat (260lb).

A friend told me to start rowing, so I did.

I bought a brand new Concept2 D model and stared rowing using some youtube movies to learn the proper technique.

My goal is to get back in shape and loose some weight.
My first goal would be to get back to under 200lb.

To get more structure I have started with the Pete's plan. (lost already 11lb)
Is this a good plan to work on loosing weight?
I'm a 5'9", 47 yr old male with a lot of old sport injuries (knees, shoulders, etc). 11 months ago, I was over 230lbs. I'm now under 190lbs. I did the entire Beginner Pete Plan (BPP)... all the optional workouts as well. I just started the regular Pete Plan because I was missing the structure of the BPP, plus I'd like to enter a race for fun this February.

Cheers and best of luck.
48M, 175cm/5'9", 74.8kg/165lbs
Neptune Beach, FL/Boone, NC