Stopped Smoking Want to Lose Weight

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
macher52
Paddler

Stopped Smoking Want to Lose Weight

Post by macher52 » June 17th, 2019, 7:03 am

Hi I stopped smoking about a couple months ago so I’m still winded. Want to start a rowing regime where I can start to lose weight. Since I stopped smoking I have cabinet about 10 lbs. I’m 5’5” 52 years old and currently weight 178 lbs. In the last month or so I’ve started to eat a lot more healthier. I think a good weight for me is 165 lbs. Any recommendations on a program to start since I’m an ex smoker and winded. Thanks!

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Stopped Smoking Want to Lose Weight

Post by jamesg » June 17th, 2019, 8:51 am

Start by learning to row. This is fundamental, since real rowing uses the right (large) muscles in legs and hips which are already strong, so easily stresses our CV system which will be forced to adapt.

Then slow (rating) but long (distance), aiming to increase to say 5000 m a day (25-30 minutes). You can do the 5k any way you like, even 200m x 25, all slow and with plenty of rest in between, then increasing the interval length and shortening rest as it gets easier.

A little exercise like that is basic and essential to staying alive, but since it shifts the heat balance by less than 500 kCal/day, doesn't get us thin. That depends on how much we eat and maybe on a relatively low calorie diet (Irish stew, minestrone and fruit).
08-1940, 183cm, 87kg. Last seen MHR 162, in 2k (2020-05-16) 8.47.5@24

macher52
Paddler

Post by macher52 » June 17th, 2019, 9:03 am

jamesg wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 8:51 am
Start by learning to row. This is fundamental, since real rowing uses the right (large) muscles in legs and hips which are already strong, so easily stresses our CV system which will be forced to adapt.

Then slow (rating) but long (distance), aiming to increase to say 5000 m a day (25-30 minutes). You can do the 5k any way you like, even 200m x 25, all slow and with plenty of rest in between, then increasing the interval length and shortening rest as it gets easier.

A little exercise like that is basic and essential to staying alive, but since it shifts the heat balance by less than 500 kCal/day, doesn't get us thin. That depends on how much we eat and maybe on a relatively low calorie diet (Irish stew, minestrone and fruit).
Thanks. My job is taking the University of Pa rowing team; heavy weights, light weights and women from campus to the boathouse for practice. I know a lot of the rowers and they said they’ll teach me how to row. But their training is a lot different than what I want lol which is why I
asking here. But what you suggested seems like a good start then I can ramp it up possibly for weight loss.

Ollie Russell
500m Poster

Post by Ollie Russell » June 18th, 2019, 5:35 am

30min a day sounds a good start, with a view to increasing that to 45min to an hour over time. Dont overlook weight training, the more muscle mass one has the greater ones metabolism. You dont have alot to loose so i suggest loosing it as slow as possible. Aim for 1lb a week, which is a drop in calories of 500 per day. I have no idea what your diet is but i expect you could swap out certain things for wiser choices over the day. Leaner cuts of meat, skimmed milk, fewer condiments etc which would be most, if not all of the 500cal you need to decrease to.

You cant outrun a bad diet...unless you train like an olympian...but lets assume you wont be! The "percieved exercison scale" is a good gauge of how intense to train. Id reccomend a 6 to 7 out of 10. Which should feel like you could hold a conversation but you'd prefer not to. Keep it there for as long as possible, 30 min sounds fine to me but increase that slowly when you feel comfortable. No need to go overboard either, 60min is plenty. You could jog aswell to supplement the rowing perhaps?

The idea of low intensity cardio is that you can recover quickly between sessions, so id reccomend doing it daily with 1 or 2 days off. Although it may take a week or so to get to that point...first few sessions you will feel sore! Weight training, 30min a day before your cardio...lots of beginner routines online. Diet is the key, take it steady and eat wise...no rush or fad diets. I like to train 3 consecutive days and have a day off, 3 days on again...and another day off. Repeat. Best of luck.
Rowing since December 2018
31yrs
6ft 1inch
260lb

2k 6:48:9
10k 38:49
60min 15,324

Goals for 2019: a 6:30 2k, 37:00 10k and would like to try a marathon.

macher52
Paddler

Post by macher52 » June 18th, 2019, 6:26 am

Ollie Russell wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 5:35 am
30min a day sounds a good start, with a view to increasing that to 45min to an hour over time. Dont overlook weight training, the more muscle mass one has the greater ones metabolism. You dont have alot to loose so i suggest loosing it as slow as possible. Aim for 1lb a week, which is a drop in calories of 500 per day. I have no idea what your diet is but i expect you could swap out certain things for wiser choices over the day. Leaner cuts of meat, skimmed milk, fewer condiments etc which would be most, if not all of the 500cal you need to decrease to.

You cant outrun a bad diet...unless you train like an olympian...but lets assume you wont be! The "percieved exercison scale" is a good gauge of how intense to train. Id reccomend a 6 to 7 out of 10. Which should feel like you could hold a conversation but you'd prefer not to. Keep it there for as long as possible, 30 min sounds fine to me but increase that slowly when you feel comfortable. No need to go overboard either, 60min is plenty. You could jog aswell to supplement the rowing perhaps?

The idea of low intensity cardio is that you can recover quickly between sessions, so id reccomend doing it daily with 1 or 2 days off. Although it may take a week or so to get to that point...first few sessions you will feel sore! Weight training, 30min a day before your cardio...lots of beginner routines online. Diet is the key, take it steady and eat wise...no rush or fad diets. I like to train 3 consecutive days and have a day off, 3 days on again...and another day off. Repeat. Best of luck.
Diet wise this is what I’ve been doing as an example. Previously for breakfast I would have a bagel with cream cheese or a bacon and egg sandwich on toast. Now I replaced that with fruit and a bowl of shredded wheat with banana. For lunch instead of having a sandwich now I have a salad with chicken or tuna.

Ollie Russell
500m Poster

Post by Ollie Russell » June 18th, 2019, 6:49 am

Sounds pretty good, dont drop too low. Its counter intuative but dropping too low wont make you loose more fat, metabolism will slow down and you could be loosing valuable muscle mass. Most crash diets work because people loose water and muscle tissue, not body fat. To loose body fat alone is more of "slowly slowly catchy monkey". So dont go crazy! Even 1800/2000cal a day is enough to drop to...especially with a good training routine in place.
Rowing since December 2018
31yrs
6ft 1inch
260lb

2k 6:48:9
10k 38:49
60min 15,324

Goals for 2019: a 6:30 2k, 37:00 10k and would like to try a marathon.

Nono
Paddler

Post by Nono » June 19th, 2019, 12:28 am

Congratulations on quitting smoking! Quitting smoking - I have heard - is like adding 200 calories to your day without even trying. I just quit smoking this January and I too have gained in the neighborhood of 10 pounds. I took up rowing because I had a concept 2 in my basement that my husband used to use. I am trying to keep to only gaining 10 pounds and then eventually losing some weight, keeping my blood flowing and hopefully improving my lung function. You did not say how long you smoked - but I smoked for a long time - too long .
I started rowing for only 10 mins a day, up it by 5 min every now and then, On May 1 when the new rowing season started I was up to 30 min and now mid June 40-45 min getting around 7000 meters. Rowing makes me feel better - and my diet is ok but since I quit smoking I eat a number of peppermint candies a day. I am not ready to give this up quite yet - I am just happy that I have quit smoking.
Good Luck on your rowing!!

RayOfSunshine
2k Poster

Post by RayOfSunshine » July 14th, 2019, 8:22 am

For me it was about setting specific goals.

I quit chewing tobacco on 12/12/17 and wanted to lose weight. I can't just "lose weight", so I set a goal... complete the Pete Plan for beginners. I did a 48 min 10k, so I set a goal to do a sub 40 min 10k in a year (I took a little over, but I got there). I started eating better because the better I ate, the better I performed on the erg.

I also set a long term goal to do a sub7 2k as a LWT after I turn 50. I'm down over 60 pounds and am 5 pounds from LWT status. I'm a long way off of the sub7 2k, but I haven't done one since my 1st race in February (7:16).
49M, 175cm/5'9", 73.9kg/163lbs
Neptune Beach, FL/Boone, NC

Parky
1k Poster

Post by Parky » July 14th, 2019, 12:07 pm

If you want a quick way to lose weight, try "The Potato Hack". It's worked for me.
Hwt M - 74yrs - 17st 4lbs