Is my weight an issue?

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
Fathoms77
Paddler
Posts: 23
Joined: June 15th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Is my weight an issue?

Post by Fathoms77 » June 17th, 2020, 1:14 pm

I'm pretty thin; I'm 6'3 and I only weigh 175 lbs. But I do weight training several days a week using 35-65lbs. weights, and I've even participated in arm wrestling tournaments, so strength (especially upper body) isn't really an issue.

However, I see lots of people who post really competitive times weigh a good deal more than I do, an I wonder if my lack of mass is actually holding me back. I'm more of an endurance rower anyway, but I would like to lower my 2K time.

I'm pretty active in terms of bicycling and hiking so I like my current weight (and fitting into 32-inch pants is always nice)...but maybe gaining some mass will help with sprint times...?

MartinSH4321
10k Poster
Posts: 1891
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by MartinSH4321 » June 17th, 2020, 3:26 pm

For a fast 2k you don't need to be very strong, fitness is most important, there are world class rowers who don't do strength training at all, and lightweights rowing sub6 2ks.
Sprinting is different, here raw power is most important and the difference between heavyweight and lightweight is much bigger.
Martin, 1983, Austria, 186cm / 100Kg
RHR: 43, MHR: 174
LP: 1:06, 100m: 14.0, 1': 387m, 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43, 5k: 17:53, 30': 8237m, 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:51
60': 15779m, HM: 1:21:57
rowing since Jun18, 5mm in Aug20

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4531
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by Dangerscouse » June 17th, 2020, 3:38 pm

As Martin says there's not really any demonstrable benefit in gaining mass for a 2k. It may help you, but there's no direct correlation. For example I have lost circa four kgs in recent months and I'm rowing faster than ever.

Height, genetics, VO2max are all bigger advantages for rowing faster and as Henry says: for over 2k you can't be too fit. For under 2k you can't be too strong.
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:25; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Fathoms77
Paddler
Posts: 23
Joined: June 15th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by Fathoms77 » June 17th, 2020, 6:48 pm

Okay, thanks. I guess it's just a matter of how you want to tune your engine, just like a race car.

You can gear it for top end or low end but you generally have to choose which side you want to be on...I want to go for more of an all-around fitness, though.

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4531
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by Dangerscouse » June 18th, 2020, 1:55 am

Fathoms77 wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 6:48 pm
Okay, thanks. I guess it's just a matter of how you want to tune your engine, just like a race car.

You can gear it for top end or low end but you generally have to choose which side you want to be on...I want to go for more of an all-around fitness, though.
For all round fitness I'd just recommend doing lots of distance and lots of variety as you're currently doing.

Stay patient and tailor your programme to build towards a goal: if 2k is your target then add in some shorter interval work. Part of your problem might be that it's not specific enough.
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:25; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 9341
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by hjs » June 18th, 2020, 3:51 am

Fathoms77 wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 1:14 pm
I'm pretty thin; I'm 6'3 and I only weigh 175 lbs. But I do weight training several days a week using 35-65lbs. weights, and I've even participated in arm wrestling tournaments, so strength (especially upper body) isn't really an issue.

However, I see lots of people who post really competitive times weigh a good deal more than I do, an I wonder if my lack of mass is actually holding me back. I'm more of an endurance rower anyway, but I would like to lower my 2K time.

I'm pretty active in terms of bicycling and hiking so I like my current weight (and fitting into 32-inch pants is always nice)...but maybe gaining some mass will help with sprint times...?
There are sub 75kg guys who pulled sub6.

If you like doing what you do why bother? Sprinting is a different matter, for that you need raw power, your training does not help with that.

User avatar
winniewinser
10k Poster
Posts: 1544
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by winniewinser » June 18th, 2020, 6:30 am

Fathoms77 wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 1:14 pm
I'm pretty thin; I'm 6'3 and I only weigh 175 lbs. But I do weight training several days a week using 35-65lbs. weights, and I've even participated in arm wrestling tournaments, so strength (especially upper body) isn't really an issue.

However, I see lots of people who post really competitive times weigh a good deal more than I do, an I wonder if my lack of mass is actually holding me back. I'm more of an endurance rower anyway, but I would like to lower my 2K time.

I'm pretty active in terms of bicycling and hiking so I like my current weight (and fitting into 32-inch pants is always nice)...but maybe gaining some mass will help with sprint times...?
If you can drop a little more to get to 75Kg then you can row as a lightweight and then race more against like for like physiques.
LWTM, 6'2" 48yo, 100m 17.9, 1min 337m, 500m 1:34.2, 1km 3:24.6, 2km 6:53.5, 5km 18:23.2, 6km 22:20.4, 30' 7958m, 10km 38:18.6, 60' 15,286m, HM 1:24:08.5, FM 3:08:12.8

boomingaway
1k Poster
Posts: 134
Joined: April 12th, 2020, 7:03 am

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by boomingaway » June 18th, 2020, 8:14 am

winniewinser wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 6:30 am
little more to get to 75Kg then you can row as a lightweight and then race more against like for like physiques.
Do anything but this. You are not a competitive rower, you don't need to make your weight for a category. At your height and weight, more muscle can only be a good thing, for rowing and just for overall quality of life.
33M, 173cm, 75kg
100m: 17.4, 1': 337m, 500m: 1:34, 1k: 3:23, 2k: 7:17, 5k: 19:53, 6k: 23:58, 60': 14112m

User avatar
winniewinser
10k Poster
Posts: 1544
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by winniewinser » June 18th, 2020, 9:20 am

boomingaway wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 8:14 am
winniewinser wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 6:30 am
little more to get to 75Kg then you can row as a lightweight and then race more against like for like physiques.
Do anything but this. You are not a competitive rower, you don't need to make your weight for a category. At your height and weight, more muscle can only be a good thing, for rowing and just for overall quality of life.
Depends on what motivates the person. If they like to try and compare themselves in the various age group categories on the C2 site then why not. If you prefer to have more muscle then that's fine too but stop comparing yourself to the 6'6" giants who weigh 130kg. Personal choice.

Personally I dropped from 82kg to 75kg and am 6'2".....have never felt fitter and healthier. I also dropped my 2km to 6:53.5 in that time.

Each to their own. Ultimately we can only set and target our own personal goals anyway.
LWTM, 6'2" 48yo, 100m 17.9, 1min 337m, 500m 1:34.2, 1km 3:24.6, 2km 6:53.5, 5km 18:23.2, 6km 22:20.4, 30' 7958m, 10km 38:18.6, 60' 15,286m, HM 1:24:08.5, FM 3:08:12.8

boomingaway
1k Poster
Posts: 134
Joined: April 12th, 2020, 7:03 am

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by boomingaway » June 18th, 2020, 9:30 am

winniewinser wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 9:20 am

Depends on what motivates the person. If they like to try and compare themselves in the various age group categories on the C2 site then why not. If you prefer to have more muscle then that's fine too but stop comparing yourself to the 6'6" giants who weigh 130kg. Personal choice.

Personally I dropped from 82kg to 75kg and am 6'2".....have never felt fitter and healthier. I also dropped my 2km to 6:53.5 in that time.

Each to their own. Ultimately we can only set and target our own personal goals anyway.
Someone asking on a forum if their weight is an issue is very unlikely to be motivated my weight classes in rowing. Telling a 6'3 person to cut to 75kg is terrible generic advice.

Your case is different, because being a lightweight is important to you. But even for you, let's weigh up the pros and cons of you doing a lean bulk to 85-90kg -

Pros:
1. Stronger, more muscle, and hence less injury prone
2. Looks better (opinion but the vast majoriy would think that a 85kg 6'2 person who has done a lean bulk from 75kg would look better)
3. Rowing times get better
4. Better at most outdoor activities that are not purely endurance based

Cons:
1. Can't compete as a lightweight
2. Have to spend time lifting weights

#1 does not apply to OP and most people really. #2 is a small price to pay to become a more well rounded and healthy human being.
33M, 173cm, 75kg
100m: 17.4, 1': 337m, 500m: 1:34, 1k: 3:23, 2k: 7:17, 5k: 19:53, 6k: 23:58, 60': 14112m

MartinSH4321
10k Poster
Posts: 1891
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by MartinSH4321 » June 18th, 2020, 10:10 am

boomingaway wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 9:30 am
winniewinser wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 9:20 am

Depends on what motivates the person. If they like to try and compare themselves in the various age group categories on the C2 site then why not. If you prefer to have more muscle then that's fine too but stop comparing yourself to the 6'6" giants who weigh 130kg. Personal choice.

Personally I dropped from 82kg to 75kg and am 6'2".....have never felt fitter and healthier. I also dropped my 2km to 6:53.5 in that time.

Each to their own. Ultimately we can only set and target our own personal goals anyway.
Someone asking on a forum if their weight is an issue is very unlikely to be motivated my weight classes in rowing. Telling a 6'3 person to cut to 75kg is terrible generic advice.

Your case is different, because being a lightweight is important to you. But even for you, let's weigh up the pros and cons of you doing a lean bulk to 85-90kg -

Pros:
1. Stronger, more muscle, and hence less injury prone
2. Looks better (opinion but the vast majoriy would think that a 85kg 6'2 person who has done a lean bulk from 75kg would look better)
3. Rowing times get better
4. Better at most outdoor activities that are not purely endurance based

Cons:
1. Can't compete as a lightweight
2. Have to spend time lifting weights

#1 does not apply to OP and most people really. #2 is a small price to pay to become a more well rounded and healthy human being.
I can't see any reason for such an offending way of posting.
Alex posted that the OP would be lightweight at 75kg and then can race more against people of similar physique, that's no advice and no opinion, that's just a fact.
The OPs first post sounds like he's pretty motivated and likes his current weight, so from my point of view Alex posted valuable information the OP may not have known so far, he didn't "tell him to cut to 75kg".
Martin, 1983, Austria, 186cm / 100Kg
RHR: 43, MHR: 174
LP: 1:06, 100m: 14.0, 1': 387m, 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43, 5k: 17:53, 30': 8237m, 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:51
60': 15779m, HM: 1:21:57
rowing since Jun18, 5mm in Aug20

boomingaway
1k Poster
Posts: 134
Joined: April 12th, 2020, 7:03 am

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by boomingaway » June 18th, 2020, 10:30 am

MartinSH4321 wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 10:10 am

I can't see any reason for such an offending way of posting.
Alex posted that the OP would be lightweight at 75kg and then can race more against people of similar physique, that's no advice and no opinion, that's just a fact.
The OPs first post sounds like he's pretty motivated and likes his current weight, so from my point of view Alex posted valuable information the OP may not have known so far, he didn't "tell him to cut to 75kg".
Telling someone who is 6'3 175lbs to lose weight (however he worded it) is just so stupid. People read this and are influenced by it. If someone posts a stupid thing, I will respond in a strong manner so that OP gets the point or does his own research. A far better reply would have been to bulk up to 90kg, put on some muscle, be healthy and then take on the heavyweights.
33M, 173cm, 75kg
100m: 17.4, 1': 337m, 500m: 1:34, 1k: 3:23, 2k: 7:17, 5k: 19:53, 6k: 23:58, 60': 14112m

Fathoms77
Paddler
Posts: 23
Joined: June 15th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by Fathoms77 » June 18th, 2020, 10:32 am

No worries for all comments; I take no offense, nor do I think any of it is particularly bad advice. :)

I'm not especially interested in weight classes; I'm more interested in just getting the most out of my rowing at my current weight, which as I said, I do like. However, if many people said my rowing would definitely benefit from gaining 5-10lbs., I would've considered it. As far as I can tell, most of you are saying weight doesn't really matter at all unless we're talking about raw power for really short distances.

For me, 2K is like a sprint, anyway, as I've been doing endurance for so long. So I guess in the end, there's no reason for me to put on extra weight. But I appreciate all the feedback! :P
Last edited by Fathoms77 on June 18th, 2020, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
winniewinser
10k Poster
Posts: 1544
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by winniewinser » June 18th, 2020, 11:02 am

boomingaway wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 10:30 am
MartinSH4321 wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 10:10 am

I can't see any reason for such an offending way of posting.
Alex posted that the OP would be lightweight at 75kg and then can race more against people of similar physique, that's no advice and no opinion, that's just a fact.
The OPs first post sounds like he's pretty motivated and likes his current weight, so from my point of view Alex posted valuable information the OP may not have known so far, he didn't "tell him to cut to 75kg".
Telling someone who is 6'3 175lbs to lose weight (however he worded it) is just so stupid. People read this and are influenced by it. If someone posts a stupid thing, I will respond in a strong manner so that OP gets the point or does his own research. A far better reply would have been to bulk up to 90kg, put on some muscle, be healthy and then take on the heavyweights.
Wow....I'd better order some protein powder just to make sure I meet your definition of what is right :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm happy....the OP is happy....the only one who isn't is you :roll:
LWTM, 6'2" 48yo, 100m 17.9, 1min 337m, 500m 1:34.2, 1km 3:24.6, 2km 6:53.5, 5km 18:23.2, 6km 22:20.4, 30' 7958m, 10km 38:18.6, 60' 15,286m, HM 1:24:08.5, FM 3:08:12.8

boomingaway
1k Poster
Posts: 134
Joined: April 12th, 2020, 7:03 am

Re: Is my weight an issue?

Post by boomingaway » June 18th, 2020, 11:12 am

winniewinser wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 11:02 am

Wow....I'd better order some protein powder just to make sure I meet your definition of what is right :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm happy....the OP is happy....the only one who isn't is you :roll:
Maybe I'm not getting my point across properly. OP said he was pretty thin and exercises a lot. He is 6'3 175. It would be unhealthy for him to lose weight. If he took your advice and lost 10 pounds to become a lightweight, he would be pretty underweight. What if he then doesn't stop there in order to have some leeway to be a lightweight? If you told an anorexic person to lose weight, you will get harsh replies. This isn't quite that, but it has the potential to become that. It is rubbish advice to a stranger on the internet.

I am perfectly happy and don't want to debate this back and forth. I did NOT want OP to think your advice was okay, because it was terrible. He should not be losing weight. This is for his overall health. I bet if you ask OP to post a picture of him, your advice would change.
33M, 173cm, 75kg
100m: 17.4, 1': 337m, 500m: 1:34, 1k: 3:23, 2k: 7:17, 5k: 19:53, 6k: 23:58, 60': 14112m

Post Reply