European Indoor Champs - 9th December. Why?!?!!

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Recess
Paddler
Posts: 34
Joined: September 17th, 2013, 5:10 am

European Indoor Champs - 9th December. Why?!?!!

Post by Recess » July 25th, 2017, 1:55 am

For some reason, this has really got under my skin this morning. Just saw the date for EuroIRC in Amsterdam announced on Facebook. It's the same day as BRIC.

WHY?

Surely they must have known.

Indoor Rowing as a sport it in a good place - and should be building and building, using these comps to bring in as many people as possible. Why clash and reduce entries?

</rant>

http://www.nkindoorroeien.nl/european-r ... amsterdam/
John

User avatar
Gammmmo
10k Poster
Posts: 1553
Joined: March 26th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Re: European Indoor Champs - 9th December. Why?!?!!

Post by Gammmmo » July 25th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Happens all the time with cycle time trials...fewer and fewer events and no collusion on clashing. It reduces the number of chances you get to perform.
46M, 5'11" 74kg (finally bulking up...a bit!), ex bike time trialler.
Image
Targets: 36:59(10K), >8200m for 30mins, 6:44(2K), 3:12(1K)

Erg on!

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7635
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands
Contact:

Re: European Indoor Champs - 9th December. Why?!?!!

Post by hjs » July 25th, 2017, 1:20 pm

More or less fixed date in amsterdam, big event, but mostly focussed intern, so they don,t look at other events.

Every year I see races in the same weekend.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

Cyclist2
6k Poster
Posts: 612
Joined: December 13th, 2006, 8:20 pm
Location: Bremerton, WA

Re: European Indoor Champs - 9th December. Why?!?!!

Post by Cyclist2 » July 25th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Happens in the US during race season (January, early February), too. Too many races to divvy up the weekends. Most people only attend one, but the thought of doing one other than the closest one has crossed my mind - Seattle is very competitive, Dallas not so much, maybe I'll plan to visit my brother that weekend :D
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

Two Pudding Kid
1k Poster
Posts: 149
Joined: October 10th, 2008, 8:15 am
Location: Birmingham, UK

Re: European Indoor Champs - 9th December. Why?!?!!

Post by Two Pudding Kid » July 26th, 2017, 2:02 am

Please note: since upcoming edition is a European Championship and adjusted rules and regulations are applicable, it is not possible to participate in the contest when you are not an active member of a rowing association.
Due to the above I dont know if we would be all be allowed to enter - my club is virtual! Yep - it is a pain but thanks for the info so that I can cross Euros off my list for another year, (French Euros didnt happen for me due to being day after Manchester in 2017).

Usually use Germany as my international hunting ground for competitions - Starnberg 30 mins being one of my top priorities this spring on Feb 17 2018 http://www.ergoregatta.de/.

User avatar
bisqeet
10k Poster
Posts: 1468
Joined: July 20th, 2015, 3:17 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Re: European Indoor Champs - 9th December. Why?!?!!

Post by bisqeet » July 26th, 2017, 9:01 am

Two Pudding Kid wrote:
Please note: since upcoming edition is a European Championship and adjusted rules and regulations are applicable, it is not possible to participate in the contest when you are not an active member of a rowing association.
Due to the above I dont know if we would be all be allowed to enter - my club is virtual! Yep - it is a pain but thanks for the info so that I can cross Euros off my list for another year, (French Euros didnt happen for me due to being day after Manchester in 2017).

Usually use Germany as my international hunting ground for competitions - Starnberg 30 mins being one of my top priorities this spring on Feb 17 2018 http://www.ergoregatta.de/.
will see you there :)
Dean
2017 Season: 196cm / 92kg : M49
Training Log - ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ -Blog
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7635
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands
Contact:

Re: European Indoor Champs - 9th December. Why?!?!!

Post by hjs » July 27th, 2017, 10:47 am

Two Pudding Kid wrote:
Please note: since upcoming edition is a European Championship and adjusted rules and regulations are applicable, it is not possible to participate in the contest when you are not an active member of a rowing association.
Due to the above I dont know if we would be all be allowed to enter - my club is virtual! Yep - it is a pain but thanks for the info so that I can cross Euros off my list for another year, (French Euros didnt happen for me due to being day after Manchester in 2017).

Usually use Germany as my international hunting ground for competitions - Starnberg 30 mins being one of my top priorities this spring on Feb 17 2018 http://www.ergoregatta.de/.
Would be wierd, 90% of indoorrowers would be out. Schoolkids and company teams also, and those are big classes.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7635
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands
Contact:

Re: European Indoor Champs - 9th December. Why?!?!!

Post by hjs » October 7th, 2017, 10:17 am

Update, for all non rowers, there are now 64 seats per gender, no classes, no l/h, no age, only one winner.

Pretty bizar, the whole EC is gone now, no champions. Organizing club is otw, who clearly don,t give a hood about indoorrowing. Schoolteams, crossfitteams, company teams all out.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2203
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: European Indoor Champs - 9th December. Why?!?!!

Post by lindsayh » October 7th, 2017, 8:42 pm

hjs wrote:Update, for all non rowers, there are now 64 seats per gender, no classes, no l/h, no age, only one winner.
Pretty bizar, the whole EC is gone now, no champions. Organizing club is otw, who clearly don,t give a hood about indoorrowing. Schoolteams, crossfitteams, company teams all out.
That's a nuisance Henry - if they don't want to do it properly then they should give it to someone else who will. I know here things are moving in a better direction - Rowing Australia are interested in including indoor rowing as part of their programs and organisation - nothing happening yet but is promising.
Lindsay
67yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7635
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands
Contact:

Re: European Indoor Champs - 9th December. Why?!?!!

Post by hjs » October 8th, 2017, 3:56 am

lindsayh wrote:
hjs wrote:Update, for all non rowers, there are now 64 seats per gender, no classes, no l/h, no age, only one winner.
Pretty bizar, the whole EC is gone now, no champions. Organizing club is otw, who clearly don,t give a hood about indoorrowing. Schoolteams, crossfitteams, company teams all out.
That's a nuisance Henry - if they don't want to do it properly then they should give it to someone else who will. I know here things are moving in a better direction - Rowing Australia are interested in including indoor rowing as part of their programs and organisation - nothing happening yet but is promising.
Indeed, this ridiculous. Also don,t know why. This race is very succesfull, around 1400 people racing last year. Maybe its to getting to big, but if so make it two days instead..
Was last year in Paris France, people made a great job from it. Even pretty serious security.
This solution of 64 seats is a joke. A 60 year old lightweight will race 30 year old heavyweights.....
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

Post Reply