New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
User avatar
lancecampeau
2k Poster
Posts: 370
Joined: July 23rd, 2017, 9:48 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by lancecampeau » September 11th, 2018, 11:41 am

Cheers everyone... worked hard to get this one, but more importantly I really studied hard too... lots of number crunching & data analysis to determine what work needed to be done and in what order . The detailed records I've been keeping in my rowing log have been very useful in determining when it's "time to strike" on a PB attempt. A focus on better diet, less drinking, more intelligent rest and sleep, weight training, HIIT & long SS sessions have all played roles. Trying different distances, varying the drag factor, changing the stroke rate have all been explored extensively.

This Split Estimation tool has also been essential for guiding my work on the erg and giving me goals to reach.
http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/ ... -predictor

@Boomer
The low rate work has focused on two main goals... Keep the stroke rate to 20 or less and the pace to 2:00 or lower. The distances have varied from 1000m to 7600m. These basic guidelines help keep the SPI over 10.

@Stu
The best progression has come in the last 6 months... My 2K was 7:04.6 in February... 11.1 seconds of gain since then.

@HJS
The split estimation tool has put my max 2K potential at around 6:47 (based on some of my all time PB's). But, I am most interested in managing to do the 5K in 18:00ish... That would be really special. However... a time of 18:25 is more likely at present. My greater strength is in the 500m to 2K range
Male, 45, 6ft / 241 lbs, 183cm / 109 kg / Started erging in Jan 2017
Image

Minimoof123
1k Poster
Posts: 112
Joined: March 11th, 2018, 10:01 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Minimoof123 » September 11th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Post by lancecampeau » September 10th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Absolutely killed my 2K TT today.... Shaved 4.6 seconds off my previous PB!!!

2000m / 6:53.5 / 1:43.3 / DF 155 / SR 28 / SPI 11.32

Well done looks like a nice session
Image
47 yr old Male, 6'1, 205lb, rowing for general fitness, proud owner since 2014

bob.haffner
1k Poster
Posts: 112
Joined: September 16th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by bob.haffner » September 11th, 2018, 7:47 pm

lancecampeau wrote:
September 10th, 2018, 6:10 pm
Absolutely killed my 2K TT today.... Shaved 4.6 seconds off my previous PB!!!

2000m / 6:53.5 / 1:43.3 / DF 155 / SR 28 / SPI 11.32

I had a very specific plan for this attempt and executed it PERFECTLY...

- Keep the SR under 30
- Measure the piece with 250m splits and keep them as close to 1:43.7 as possible
- allow myself the occasional "rest stroke" when required to help minimize physical and mental fatigue.
- with 400m to go, fully extend the stroke by pulling the handle closer to the chest and delivering extra drive with the legs
- with 125m to go, push the pace to under 1:40 and touch 1:35 in anyway possible.


Image

Did a fair amount of low rate / high SPI pieces recently. This training was critical for developing the stamina I needed

My 2K progress...
- 9:32 in Feb 2017
- 6:53.5 in Sept 2018
Incredible progress! Way to go!
I'm a little old, kinda heavy and somewhat tall... 2 outta 3 ain't bad

Been rowing on-and-off for a few years. I have a "sub 6:30 2k by the end of 2018" goal

Training Log

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 8420
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by hjs » September 12th, 2018, 5:35 am

lancecampeau wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 11:41 am


@HJS
The split estimation tool has put my max 2K potential at around 6:47 (based on some of my all time PB's). But, I am most interested in managing to do the 5K in 18:00ish... That would be really special. However... a time of 18:25 is more likely at present. My greater strength is in the 500m to 2K range
If 2k is your main goal, you overcomplicate things. Your current strenght is the result if how you train. Fitness wise you are undertrained aerobicly, Your rating is to low, and believe me, I myself also rate low ish. Very fast guys, have the fitness to rate up, 6.4/6.6 guys rate 35 and above. Think you can get to 6.40 if you manage to bring your fitness up. But that will be boring, most sessions need to be long, low rated and not fast. Or high volume interval work with short rest, if you like to do faster stuff.
For 5k training, longer intervals 5x1500 or 4x 2k are usefull once a week orso.
Your strenght is good enough, at your current level thats need no improvement. Aerobic fitness is your weakest link....
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

User avatar
Gammmmo
10k Poster
Posts: 1842
Joined: March 26th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Gammmmo » September 12th, 2018, 10:27 am

Felt better today after a decent nights kip and 15K@2:03 on the erg yesterday. OK so a PB is a PB but this didn't start out as a PB attempt(!) so still a bit "meh" really as clearly sandbagging and half way through was in two minds whether to push on as the average wasn't great - it peaked at 1:37.9 with only about 200m to go IIRC. The upside is this 1K PB which is an improvement of .3s is less reliant on half sliding and certainly feels like all the intervals I'm doing is increasing my stroke power.

As an aside, I've noticed also I tend to only get "erg cough" if I do a hard 1K whereas don't tend to get it if I do the same pace (or even a bit quicker) over say 650m or even 800m.

Image
Paul, 47M, 5'11" 78kg (all PBs done as a LWT tho'), ex bike time trialler.
1min=350m Image
Targets: 1:27(500m), 3:11(1K), 180kg deadlift

Erg on!

bob.haffner
1k Poster
Posts: 112
Joined: September 16th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by bob.haffner » September 12th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Gammmmo wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 10:27 am
Felt better today after a decent nights kip and 15K@2:03 on the erg yesterday. OK so a PB is a PB but this didn't start out as a PB attempt(!) so still a bit "meh" really as clearly sandbagging and half way through was in two minds whether to push on as the average wasn't great - it peaked at 1:37.9 with only about 200m to go IIRC. The upside is this 1K PB which is an improvement of .3s is less reliant on half sliding and certainly feels like all the intervals I'm doing is increasing my stroke power.

As an aside, I've noticed also I tend to only get "erg cough" if I do a hard 1K whereas don't tend to get it if I do the same pace (or even a bit quicker) over say 650m or even 800m.

Image

Nice work! Those 1Ks are sneaky tough
I'm a little old, kinda heavy and somewhat tall... 2 outta 3 ain't bad

Been rowing on-and-off for a few years. I have a "sub 6:30 2k by the end of 2018" goal

Training Log

User avatar
lancecampeau
2k Poster
Posts: 370
Joined: July 23rd, 2017, 9:48 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by lancecampeau » September 12th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Gammmmo wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 10:27 am
I tend to only get "erg cough" if I do a hard 1K
Argh... I also get that nagging, phlegm heavy cough only after a hard 1K... Nice job on the PB... I'm eager to give it a retry, but the last time I did the 1K ended up throwing up a bit about 10 minutes afterward... not in a hurry to retest... :?
Male, 45, 6ft / 241 lbs, 183cm / 109 kg / Started erging in Jan 2017
Image

User avatar
Gammmmo
10k Poster
Posts: 1842
Joined: March 26th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Gammmmo » September 12th, 2018, 3:24 pm

lancecampeau wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 3:15 pm
Gammmmo wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 10:27 am
I tend to only get "erg cough" if I do a hard 1K
Argh... I also get that nagging, phlegm heavy cough only after a hard 1K... Nice job on the PB... I'm eager to give it a retry, but the last time I did the 1K ended up throwing up a bit about 10 minutes afterward... not in a hurry to retest... :?
Yeah I was nowhere near that level of exertion :oops:
Paul, 47M, 5'11" 78kg (all PBs done as a LWT tho'), ex bike time trialler.
1min=350m Image
Targets: 1:27(500m), 3:11(1K), 180kg deadlift

Erg on!

Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2327
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Dangerscouse » September 12th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Gammmmo wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 10:27 am
Felt better today after a decent nights kip and 15K@2:03 on the erg yesterday. OK so a PB is a PB but this didn't start out as a PB attempt(!) so still a bit "meh" really as clearly sandbagging and half way through was in two minds whether to push on as the average wasn't great - it peaked at 1:37.9 with only about 200m to go IIRC. The upside is this 1K PB which is an improvement of .3s is less reliant on half sliding and certainly feels like all the intervals I'm doing is increasing my stroke power.

As an aside, I've noticed also I tend to only get "erg cough" if I do a hard 1K whereas don't tend to get it if I do the same pace (or even a bit quicker) over say 650m or even 800m.

Image
The fact that you are doing this with slightly less and more powerful strokes is a great sign. Well done mate
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Dreadfish
2k Poster
Posts: 411
Joined: December 13th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Dreadfish » September 12th, 2018, 7:34 pm

re this erg cough that is being spoken about?? i cough a lot when erging but i believe its due to low blood pressure which my doc spoke to me about a while ago. i also tend to cough a reasonable amount during the day when doing stuff and that is phlemmy but again i thought it was low blood pressure.
Erik
56 yo from New Zealand
6'4 and 115kg

Image

User avatar
Gammmmo
10k Poster
Posts: 1842
Joined: March 26th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Gammmmo » September 12th, 2018, 11:32 pm

Dreadfish wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 7:34 pm
re this erg cough that is being spoken about?? i cough a lot when erging but i believe its due to low blood pressure which my doc spoke to me about a while ago. i also tend to cough a reasonable amount during the day when doing stuff and that is phlemmy but again i thought it was low blood pressure.
FWIW for anyone with asthma I personally have found an ongoing "phlegmy cough" can be due to not taking preventer medication (like becotide) as often as is prescribed for such individuals.
Paul, 47M, 5'11" 78kg (all PBs done as a LWT tho'), ex bike time trialler.
1min=350m Image
Targets: 1:27(500m), 3:11(1K), 180kg deadlift

Erg on!

User avatar
Gammmmo
10k Poster
Posts: 1842
Joined: March 26th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Gammmmo » September 13th, 2018, 3:02 am

Bob - cheers fella

Lance - after thinking about your comment about being wrecked after u PBd at 1K and I wasn't, I remembered a couple of videos I posted up of big hitters doing 2Ks (one was lwt and one hwt). The lwt didn't really look that destroyed at the end but the hwt was in a world of pain. At the time it was suggested that some people just generate alot more lactate and it's often those who are relatively better at the shorter distances, that look more wrecked at the end with all the residual metabolites. I am definitely more aerobic. In my 20s I could sprint on a bike (used to pick up placings easily on road races whereas now using a powermeter and just by "feel" and "explosiveness" I am not what I was in that regard) so then I wasn't quite so exclusively aerobic and certainly lately I've been doing shorter distance stuff and have indeed seen a smallish drop off in my long distance erging. Go figure....

Stu - thanks, good comment about lower spm...yes, I think it's a positive. And, you gotta celebrate all the victories, however small. :D
Paul, 47M, 5'11" 78kg (all PBs done as a LWT tho'), ex bike time trialler.
1min=350m Image
Targets: 1:27(500m), 3:11(1K), 180kg deadlift

Erg on!

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 8420
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by hjs » September 13th, 2018, 4:00 am

Dreadfish wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 7:34 pm
re this erg cough that is being spoken about?? i cough a lot when erging but i believe its due to low blood pressure which my doc spoke to me about a while ago. i also tend to cough a reasonable amount during the day when doing stuff and that is phlemmy but again i thought it was low blood pressure.
Its a cough we get, due to be very out off breath, a lot of often cold/dry air irritates the lungs. Its not erg specific, runners, skaters etc also get it. The very anaerobic stuff does it. 3/4 minutes work. Longer work much less, breathing is different.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 8420
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by hjs » September 13th, 2018, 4:06 am

Gammmmo wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 3:02 am
Bob - cheers fella

Lance - after thinking about your comment about being wrecked after u PBd at 1K and I wasn't, I remembered a couple of videos I posted up of big hitters doing 2Ks (one was lwt and one hwt). The lwt didn't really look that destroyed at the end but the hwt was in a world of pain. At the time it was suggested that some people just generate alot more lactate and it's often those who are relatively better at the shorter distances, that look more wrecked at the end with all the residual metabolites. I am definitely more aerobic. In my 20s I could sprint on a bike (used to pick up placings easily on road races whereas now using a powermeter and just by "feel" and "explosiveness" I am not what I was in that regard) so then I wasn't quite so exclusively aerobic and certainly lately I've been doing shorter distance stuff and have indeed seen a smallish drop off in my long distance erging. Go figure....

Stu - thanks, good comment about lower spm...yes, I think it's a positive. And, you gotta celebrate all the victories, however small. :D
Look at the guys doing the 1k on the track, massive guys, very much anaerobic. Can produce lots of oxigion debt, takes ages to recover, guys fall of the bike. Aerobic people simply can,t / won,t. Its specific fitness but also build. A pure sprinter will never become super aerobic and vice versa.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

JMac
1k Poster
Posts: 140
Joined: June 7th, 2017, 3:33 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by JMac » September 13th, 2018, 5:22 am

hjs wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 4:06 am
A pure sprinter will never become super aerobic and vice versa.
After doing a lot of longer work after my injury, I can 100% confirm this :lol:
35 | 6'6" | 120kg


Image

Post Reply