Rate my technique

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Frej
Paddler

Rate my technique

Post by Frej » August 17th, 2019, 8:27 am

Hi!

I've recently started using the concept 2 rower as my main form of cardio workout. I'm rowing to increase my vo2 max and endurance in general, and am following an interval workout program called 4x4. It's basically 4 times 4 minutes of 90-95% of your max heart rate. Each interval of 4 minutes is followed by a 3 minute recovery period.

In the video below, I'm on my last set of 4 minute intervals, hence I'm a bit fatigued already.

I've been watching lots of videos of rowing technique and am actively trying to learn as I go. I think this was my 4th time rowing. Anyhow, I'd be very appreciative of any advice and critique I could get on my rowing technique.

https://youtu.be/PgDbmGaUm74

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Rate my technique

Post by jamesg » August 18th, 2019, 1:08 am

Your action sequence is correct but jerky, stiff and rushed. Relax, in rowing we can only pull one stroke at a time, so it has to be good.

4x4 is short for cardio; basic health guidelines suggest around 3 hours sweat per week. You look fit already, so should have no problem with work at >2 W/kg for 30 - 60 minutes.
78y, 188cm, 87kg, last seen MHR 163. 2k (24 May 19) 8.46.6@22

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » August 18th, 2019, 3:02 am

Your stroke is a fantastic ‘by the book’ demo! Seriously, you do have the knack of illustrating, isolating, insulating, punctuating the recovery sequence: hands out of bow, upper body rockover from hips, knee break, picture-perfect catch position. I very nearly forgot to look at the drive portion in my fascination with your rendering of the recovery!

In the next chapter, you are being asked to retain the action sequence and precise body mechanics but lose the freeze frames. Make like a conveyor belt—smooth and continuous. Piece of cake for you I think.

On days you’re not redlining the engine at 95% HRMax, a spot of relaxation at 60-75% might be good idea :!:
Last edited by jackarabit on August 18th, 2019, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_72_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » August 18th, 2019, 3:30 am

You're doing all of the separate elements correctly you just need to make the whole action a lot smoother with no notable pauses between them.

This is a good basis to build from so just try and pull it all together as one simple motion
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » August 18th, 2019, 4:11 am

Dangerscouse wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 3:30 am
You're doing all of the separate elements correctly you just need to make the whole action a lot smoother with no notable pauses between them.

This is a good basis to build from so just try and pull it all together as one simple motion
No real flaws indeed, only maybe to much sequenced, it should be more fluend. Likely a matter of making more meters, the body is not used to the motion.
One thing I don,t like, is not enough weight on the balls of the feet when you start the drive. Load the legs more, those are the main drivers.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

Allan Olesen
2k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » August 18th, 2019, 6:59 am

jackarabit wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 3:02 am
Your stroke is a fantastic ‘by the book’ demo! Seriously, you do have the knack of illustrating, isolating, insulating, punctuating the recovery sequence: hands out of bow, upper body rockover from hips, knee break, picture-perfect catch position. I very nearly forgot to look at the drive portion in my fascination with your rendering of the recovery!
I am always fascinated and envious by your language. But this one was exceptional. Thumbs up.

Anth_F
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Anth_F » August 18th, 2019, 8:37 am

7 outta 10 from me!! Nice posture, nice quick hands away, i could go on...

With time you will get the rhythm n flow of the rowing stroke down, then this technique could be rated a 10 :wink:

Aim to do some longer sessions for a true cardio workout... 30mins @ r20-r22 is a good'un for example.
42yo male 5'10 78kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22 30min 7518m

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)

https://log.concept2.com/log

Frej
Paddler

Post by Frej » August 19th, 2019, 9:11 am

First of all, thank you very much, everyone who has replied.

So to sum up the advice I've gotten so far: I should start working on making the movement more fluid and try to get rid of the micro-stops between each motion. Also, I should try to use the balls of my feet more to generate more power in the leg drive.

Regarding the fluidity of motion, is it more important to work on this on the power phase rather than the recovery phase, or is it equally important?

Also, I have an old back injury that makes itself reminded every once in a while. I've started feeling it again after rowing. Maybe it's because the whole motion is new for me, and my lower back will adapt and get stronger, but maybe it's my technique that's lacking? I'm trying to sit straight on the seat of the rower, but I can still see my lower back rounding a bit. What are your opinions on my posture when rowing?

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » August 19th, 2019, 10:10 am

Frej wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 9:11 am
First of all, thank you very much, everyone who has replied.

So to sum up the advice I've gotten so far: I should start working on making the movement more fluid and try to get rid of the micro-stops between each motion. Also, I should try to use the balls of my feet more to generate more power in the leg drive.

Regarding the fluidity of motion, is it more important to work on this on the power phase rather than the recovery phase, or is it equally important?

Also, I have an old back injury that makes itself reminded every once in a while. I've started feeling it again after rowing. Maybe it's because the whole motion is new for me, and my lower back will adapt and get stronger, but maybe it's my technique that's lacking? I'm trying to sit straight on the seat of the rower, but I can still see my lower back rounding a bit. What are your opinions on my posture when rowing?
Drive is most important, recovery should be calm and relax mostly.

Re back, its the lowerback, try to “brache” it when you start the drive, upperback rounding is ok. Lowerback should be very firm.

mitchel674
6k Poster

Post by mitchel674 » August 20th, 2019, 9:05 am

I'm impressed with your technique. It just needs to be a bit more fluid which will come with time. Well done!
54yo male, 6ft, 162lbs

Frej
Paddler

Post by Frej » August 21st, 2019, 3:32 pm

So I went at it today again, doing the same kind of intervals as last time and filming the last set. I tried to keep my back and core more braced as I am worried about my lower back rounding too much at the catch position. As you can see in the video, I had a hard time achieving a completely straight back. In your experience, is a completely straight lower back something to aim for or does it look okay in my video? Also, should I try to get my arms further forward at the catch position, without losing lat-connection. I've seen some people on YouTube extending their arms just a little bit further than what I'm doing right now.

Also, just some quick info about my training history: I'm currently doing strength training 4 times a week and have been doing so for approximately 9 years now. I'm keeping my cardio workouts to two a week. During the autumn, I will take up muay thai again after a short break of 6 months. I aim to keep rowing at least once a week while practicing muay Thai as my primary sport. This of course depending on how my back responds to the rowing.
I'm 25 years old and weigh approximately 75kg.

https://youtu.be/y-NuAJeFTtI

Tim huges
1k Poster

Post by Tim huges » August 21st, 2019, 4:41 pm

Frej wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 3:32 pm
So I went at it today again, doing the same kind of intervals as last time and filming the last set. I tried to keep my back and core more braced as I am worried about my lower back rounding too much at the catch position. As you can see in the video, I had a hard time achieving a completely straight back. In your experience, is a completely straight lower back something to aim for or does it look okay in my video? Also, should I try to get my arms further forward at the catch position, without losing lat-connection. I've seen some people on YouTube extending their arms just a little bit further than what I'm doing right now.

Also, just some quick info about my training history: I'm currently doing strength training 4 times a week and have been doing so for approximately 9 years now. I'm keeping my cardio workouts to two a week. During the autumn, I will take up muay thai again after a short break of 6 months. I aim to keep rowing at least once a week while practicing muay Thai as my primary sport. This of course depending on how my back responds to the rowing.
I'm 25 years old and weigh approximately 75kg.

https://youtu.be/y-NuAJeFTtI
Looks fine to me, as straight as it needs to be, some rounding is natural. You arent slouching. Still seems a little jerky to me although not as much as your previous video. A real solid base to build from though.
34yrs 6ft 250lbs England
Started Jan 2019
500m 1:31.6
2k 6:41.0
10k 37:34
HM 1:28:58

KEEP CALM AND 30R20

Frej
Paddler

Post by Frej » September 8th, 2019, 10:11 am

A little update with a new video.
I've been focusing on rowing at a lower stroke rate during my intervals, often at around 21-23 strokes per minute. I've been improving my time per 500 meters as well. I have no idea what is considered a good time though, so I'm only comparing with myself.

https://youtu.be/pz85hBZdFVs
Today's session landed at 7484 meters in 35 minutes.

Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » September 8th, 2019, 11:58 am

That's noticeably better to my eye, but try and stitch it all together so you're recovery is a bit more fluid. It probably won't make much difference so don't worry about it if it feels natural to you doing it this way.

Good is a very subjective topic, and there's no benefit in trying to compare. If you're improving and you honestly felt like you pushed your limits, then it's a good performance.
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » September 8th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Frej wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 10:11 am
A little update with a new video.
I've been focusing on rowing at a lower stroke rate during my intervals, often at around 21-23 strokes per minute. I've been improving my time per 500 meters as well. I have no idea what is considered a good time though, so I'm only comparing with myself.

https://youtu.be/pz85hBZdFVs
Today's session landed at 7484 meters in 35 minutes.
For reference look at the concept2 ranking.

It still looks a bit odd, I would say a bit to sequenced. Maybe think of being on water and having to move the boat with as little as possible vertical movement. Which means making no rough movements.
Was this an interval or continues session?